cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Form of SAP "R/3"

Former Member
0 Kudos

As we know, when we say u201CSAP R/3u201D, "R" stands for "Real-time data processing" and u201C3u201D for 3-tier.

Can someone explain in simple language what this 3-tier architecture is? Also, what is the difference between two-tier and three-tier architectures and why one (3-tier) is a better choice for SAP than the other?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188019
Active Participant
0 Kudos

kindly see the blog [SAP product naming.. a history, confusion etc|/people/tom.cenens3/blog/2011/01/10/sap-product-naming-confusion] [original link is broken];

/people/tom.cenens3/blog/2011/01/10/sap-product-naming-confusion

Madhu_1980

Former Member
0 Kudos

welcome in 2011!

SAP R/3 has been replaced by its successor in 2003. Hope you don't have to work on such a rather old system.

May I suggest to use the 3-tier architecture of http://www.google.com as a start to learn what an n-tier architecture is?

have fun,

anton

Edited by: Anton Wenzelhuemer on Jan 25, 2011 1:28 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right. The next version to R/3 was ECC 5.0. But I think still a large user base works with R/3 and not everyone has migrated to the new version. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I wonder if one could tell if the present R/3 applications are more in number than ECC, or the other way round.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would consider following Anton's suggestion. Please also take some time to read the 'rules' of engagement on SCN.

Please do some research on your own before posting questions, Community members help those that help themselves. A lot of the information you require is publicly available.

I've locked this thread. I'm not sure why you've posted it in the SOA forum either.

Best Regards, Trevor