cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound EDI map

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

Wanted to know the approach to map an inbound EDI file to post into SAP. EDI inbound X12 file can contain data for more than one transaction. For example, it can have data for two sales order (two ST 850 envelopes ) or it can contain data for data for two separate transactions (Inbound Sales Order 850 and Inbound 945 shipping).

In these examples, XI has two create two transactions from one single file (two sales order or one sales order and one shipping). How should the mapping done ? Do I need to use BPM, custom ABAP/JAVA map etc ?

-Thanks

Bob

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

Look at these threads here... Will be very useful for ur scenario

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b0b355ae-0501-0010-3b83-8f2...

-->XI as EDI Translator???

cheers,

Prashanth

P.S Please mark helpful answers

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you use the Seeburger Adapter you have the possibility to split your file at the ST level automatically. After split the adapter is able to route it to your correct mapping via a different sender agreement in XI.

The benefit of this solution is that this is a build-in functionality of Seeburger and not a separate BPM. This will not effect your XI to much like a BPM during the processing time. Also the Mapping work will be much easier to handle and organized in XI.

ilka

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks IIka.

That is a big relief to know that Seeburger can split the file at the ST level. That makes a very strong reason to go for Seeburger adapter as it greatly reduces the mapping problem of splitting the file and also eliminate the use of BPM to create different unique transactions in SAP per for each ST transaction.

Have you used Seeburger with XI (dumb question based on ur reply ) ? If so, can you please send me any documentation you might have at your end ..That will be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks Again

Bob

Former Member
0 Kudos

IIka,

If you can send me any of Seeburger documents, I will appreciate it also.

-Thanks

Bhaven Shah

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

One of the option is - if the EDI file is coming in XML format.. i,e EDI is converted into Xml before it reachs XI. So now it is kind of file to R/3 scenario

if so, you can get the file as it is . And in the Java Mapping , based on the pattern/header values, you can group all the trasactions into one and other. After grouping , you need to split these into target multiple structures. for this if it is Idoc, then you need to use BPM.

In the BPM, you can execute 1:N mapping and the output will be 2 structures with Sales Order and Shipping.

But if your input file you are getting is of EDI format, then first you need to convert this into xml format. For this you can use itemfield or you can go with SeeBurger External adapters.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Moorthy and Prashant.

Moorthy,

No X12 file will NOT be XML file. So we are in the process of deciding between Itemfield and Seeburger.

So even if I use either of the above options, do I still

have to use JAVA map and BPM ? and yes, IDOCS will be used to post the data in SAP.

DO you have any blogs for 1:N mapping or a similar problem ? Bcos I am NOT the first person trying to convert EDI X12 file into IDOC in SAP ?

-Thanks Again

Bob

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI,

Yes, you need to have BPM here. Because Message split should happen in the BPM because your target structure is Idoc.

/people/sudharshan.aravamudan/blog/2005/12/01/illustration-of-multi-mapping-and-message-split-using-bpm-in-sap-exchange-infrastructure

Regd. Java Mapping. If you are using Itemfield, you can try this grouping of the your messages there itself. If so , then no need of java mapping. Otherwise it is required. Here idea behind java mapping is to identify the correct structure/pattern which is applicable for group1 etc. After that , you need to have simple N:1 message mapping.

One blog with EDI and Itemfield is already mentioned in ealier post.

Regards,

moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

Look at this blog... It answers your question..

/people/bla.suranyi/blog/2006/06/08/sap-xi-supports-edifact

cheers,

Prashanth

P.S Please mark helpful answers