cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files and folders in usr\sap\put

Allan1
Explorer
0 Kudos

The usr\sap\put directory contains 6GB of files. Can the contents of the PUT folder be safely deleted?

We are not currently performing an upgrade, and the files/folders date back to 2008.

Thank you.

Allan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Expert,

By mistake i have delete file system /usr/sap / all the file and directories.

in one host there were 5 different application server were installed and one of xyz application i was trying to uninstall manually in /usr/sap/ file system . which also included other 4 different SID application.

by mistake i used command in /usr/sap > sudo rm -rf * /usr/sap/xyz

and i thought only this sid will be delete but unfortunately it's delete all the sid which installed in /usr/sap/ file system.database was on different host it didn't effect any things

how i can recover those SID application ?

is it possible to installed only application which without any interrupt for each sid?

please give me proper solution for this issue.

thanks & regard

zahoor

Allan1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello zahoor,

The only solution that comes to my mind would be to restore that folder structure from backup.  It would probably be the quickest and easiest.

Otherwise, you would need to re-install.  I don't know if you could re-install application server without interrupting each sid.

Good luck, zahoor.

Best regards,

Allan

Allan1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Based on the following information, I have determined that deleting the data inside the 'usr\sap\put' folder will not have any impact.

However, before deleting I've taken a backup of the 'put\log\' folder for documentation purposes, as described in the following excerpt. (I also kept a copy of the 'put\htdoc\' folder, which has the upgrade evaluation stats).

Excerpt taken from: 'SAP ERP Central Component 6.0 ABAP Upgrade Guide' (some extraneous text removed).

-

Section: 4.2 Creating the Upgrade Directory

The SAP system is upgraded using the upgrade directory, which can be a softlink to another physical

directory. It is divided into subdirectories that can also be softlinks.

The standard path for the upgrade directory is \usr\sap\put on the host with the central instance,

however, you can also give it a different name.

For more information, see Using a Different Upgrade Directory [page 199]. The PREPARE program needs the

upgrade directory before the actual upgrade, since it copies data and programs into this directory.

Caution:

Before you start the new upgrade the directory must exist, but be empty.

Upgrade Directory Does Not Exist

1. On the host with the central instance create the subdirectory put in the file structure

$(SAPGLOBALHOST)\sapmnt.

If you cannot create the upgrade directory under the share sapmnt, or you can not use the default

path \usr\sap\put, see Using a Different Upgrade Directory [page 199]

2. Make sure that the \usr\sap\put directory is empty before you start PREPARE.

Upgrade Directory Already Exists

If the \usr\sap\put directory already exists, check whether it still contains data from the previous

upgrade. If this is the case we recommend that you *back up at least \usr\sap\put\log for

documentation purposes*.

-

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you are saying your upgrade was finished in 2008. Then you can delete the contents under put directory. For your reference you can retain contents under htdoc directory which will contain information about run time of various phases and other upgrade related information.

Thanks

Sunny

Allan1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny.

Yes, I did keep a copy of that folder, too. Your message will help to highlight the content of that folder.

Thanks, Sunny.

Allan