cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWAP recommendations for VMWARE environments on Windows 2003

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

We recently installed our BW production environment on a vmware virtual instance mounted on Windows 2003 Server with 30GB of RAM assigned and 64 bits arquitecture.

Could you please suggest what is your recommendation to assign the size of the page file for the virtual memory?

Thanks and regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As far as I'm aware it makes no differece if its running on a normal or virtual box.

It should be at least 3 times the physical RAM.

Regards

Juan

xymanuel
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rodolfo,

just use the SAP recommendation which is 20GB Page File. Do not use 3 times of RAM... What should that be usefull for?

I know that the installer is recommending this, but it is not usefull. (e.g. our DB Server has 128 GB RAM, but we are not using an 400 GB Pagefile... only 20GB and correct configured)

Your goal must be, that there is no swapping, because if your virtualized systems begins to swap,

it will be dead (performance).

With 30 GB RAM i would suggest to use 18 GB for the DB Server Cache and about 8 GB for the Appserver (Extended Mem).

The rest is for the OS.

Check that there is not more than 200MB / hour page / out rate.

Be sure that you have implemented Note 1009297.

Be sure that you have set "Maximize Throughput for Network Application" in LAN properties.

Kind regards

Manuel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you for your quick answer guys, with regards to the use of SWAP in the SAP system, how can we identify what percentaje the system is swapping? Or how can we identify that the system doesn't reach the 200 MB hour page rate?

I know we can go to ST06 -> Detail analysis menu -> Display within server

In this report we will find several metrics related with the resources consumption, could you please specify what parameter from the whole list do we need to take into account for this measure?

Thanks,

Kind regards.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My reply earlier is based on a thumb rule base, for detailed info read SAP Note 1518419 - Page file and virtual memory required by the SAP system

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information Juan, I will review the provided docummentation.

Kind regards,