cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RENAMING THE SAPSID and DBSID

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I am a fresh BASIS professional and this is my recent issue. Please be patient in order to read this long post and please post your valuable feedbacks.

SCENARIO:

I want to rename both SAPSID and DBSID.

SYSTEM PARTICULARS:

DB: Oracle 10.2.0.1

SAP: ECC 6.0 SR2 ABAP+JAVA

SAPSID and DBSID (old): SEZ

SAPSID and DBSID (new): SDF

THE PROCESS:

After an extensive research I have come up with the process to do that. Please take a look below:

1. RENAMING THE DBSID

u2022Mount the database after a clean shutdown

u2022Invoke the DBNEWID utility (nid) specifying the new DBNAME from the command line using a user with SYSDBA privilege:

nid TARGET=sys/password@SEZ DBNAME=SDF

u2022Use Y in the change database ID prompt as shown below:

Change database ID and database name SEZ to SDF? (Y/[N]) => Y

u2022Shutdown the database.

u2022Modify the DB_NAME parameter in the initialization parameter file. The startup will result in an error but proceed anyway.

STARTUP MOUNT

ALTER SYSTEM SET DB_NAME=SDF SCOPE=SPFILE;

SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

u2022Create a new password file:

orapwd file= D:\oracle\SEZ\102\database\pwdSDF.ora password=password entries=10

u2022Rename the SPFILE to match the new DBNAME.

u2022Recreate the service so the correct name and parameter file are used:

oradim -delete -sid SEZ

oradim -new -sid SEZ -intpwd password -startmode a -pfile D:\oracle\SEZ\102\database\spfileSDF.ora

u2022Alter the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora setting to match the new database name and restart the listener:

lsnrctl reload

u2022Open the database with RESETLOGS:

STARTUP MOUNT

ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;

u2022Backup the database.

2. Then Uninstall the SAP system

3. From SAP INSTALLATION MASTER, use SYSTEM COPY option providing the SAPSID as SDF.

THE QUESTION:

Please check the above method and tell me if this will work or not?

Shall I proceed with the procedure?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

> SYSTEM PARTICULARS:

>

> OS: Windows 2003 Server.

> DB: Oracle 10.2.0.1

> SAP: ECC 6.0 SR2 ABAP+JAVA

>

> SAPSID and DBSID (old): SEZ

> SAPSID and DBSID (new): SDF

>

Oracle 10.2.0.1 is not supported. You should upgrade it to oracle 10.2.0.2.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your patience and feed-backs, they are really helpful.

@Sunny....For ECC 6.0 SR2 ABAP+JAVA my system is completely okay with Oracle version 10.2.0.1. It's running fine!

@others...Well, the thing is that I have read all the system copy manuals and came to know that, instead of manual process (as I've mentioned) if I do the process with SAPINST then the process takes too long? Please comment

Former Member
0 Kudos

One more thing, there is a confusion.

My present oracle directory is D:\oracle\SEZ\102.......so during renaming what will happen to this directory. I mean, when ever I am putting inputs to change the PWD FILE etc from this directory that contains DBSID as SEZ, will it be able to read that?

Or do I need to manually rename the SEZ part as SDF?

Another thing, how will I restore the database just after renaming as the previous offline back-ups will be rendered useless as they contain the old DBSID?

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

> @Sunny....For ECC 6.0 SR2 ABAP+JAVA my system is completely okay with Oracle version 10.2.0.1. It's running fine!

>

SAP does not support oracle 10.2.0.1. so, if some problem will come, you will be alone.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are many things which SAP recommends, but practically those happens.

For example, for CI sap recommends 64-bit, but I have my system running nicely on 32-bit OS, etcetra.

Same is the case with DB version. Anyways if you stress on this so strongly I will ugrade it to 10.2.0.2 no issues.

But for the time being please don't concentrate on DB version, I want some confusions to be solved before going in for SID renaming, please!

Regards,

Avishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, as i said you should do the whole procedure with sapinst, first you export the original system. Then you re-install it with the new SID. During the reinstall (it is like a new install) you also install the Oracle software to the new ORALCE_HOME. This means of course that you also have to deinstall the existing Oracle software (and the original SAP system as well). This is the only procedure that works if a java stack is involved. Be sure, you have sufficent disk space for the export dump and the new system.

And by the way 11.2.0.1 is indeed supported, it is the 11.1.x.x releases that are not supported...

Cheers Michael

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Avishek,

I dont know what version of SAP and Oracle you have. I did do Manual changes previously but it is a very tedious task . However , go with the previous suggestion. Restore the database with new DBSID and then do an export/import of CI(If it is a dual stack) or else you can do a fresh install after database is restored.

SAP would also not support if you have any problems if you go the manual way though it may work.All the best

Former Member
0 Kudos

best option to use system copy.

opps Sorry Juan already replied

Edited by: Sunil Bujade on Jan 21, 2011 11:58 AM

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you should proceed with a regular Homogeneous system copy which is the supported strategy to migrate/rename your system

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

That would be possible, but it would be much easier to do all the renaming with sapinst->systemcopy export / import. So you can also create the database with the new DBSID, without all the manual trouble.

Cheers Michael