cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

different segments for production, test and development segments

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

We are about to implement an SAP solution with XI, BW, ECC and EP systems. Our network people are forcing to distinguish segments for production, test and development.

I wander is there any rule about this as I did not find it in any SAP documentation.

Does anyone knows about this? Did some customer implement this approach. If so what to take into account when implementing this

Thank you very much in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is primarily meant that production, test and development segments are in different networks

Thank you in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can put these systems into differen network segments but it will make transporting changes harder. Is there a specific reason your network team wants to do this? Are you planning on running any web based services that will be available to the internet? That would be one specific reason to put these systems into different networks.

Hope that is helpful.

J. Haynes

Former Member
0 Kudos

It would be interesting to know their reasons for separate networks. In my opinion it does not yield much from a security point of view, or do for example people choose different passwords for different SAP systems?

Will there be a firewall between the segments, or will they just be routed through? If yes, your life will be harder, RFC connections and other interfaces will need to be included in a firewall rule. Often this leads to installing soft routers like saprouter, or people open all known and unknown SAP ports on the firewall.

So basically separating something that belongs together adds another (not needed) level of complexity to your SAP environment.

Cheers Michael

Edited by: mho on Jan 24, 2011 12:55 PM - fixed the usual horrible spelling

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What do u mean when u say " distinguish segmens"

Regards,

Nirmal.K