SAP for Higher Education and Research Discussions
Spark conversations about student engagement, research optimization, and administrative efficiency using SAP in higher education and research. Join in!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Learning Path for a Developer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I work for a university as the only abap develoepr in our SCLM team. ABAP and Web Dynpro are both easy for me to learn. However, I often get frustrated when writing reports and wd application. One problem is that it is time consuming to find data, for example, student anticipated graduation date. I have to ask my boss for help as I am unable to figure it out by myself. Feel very bad about this. Another major problem is that none of built=in function modules has an explanation on its function or in/out parameters. I don't know what to do without an example or help.

So I am looking for advices regarding what I should learn after ABAP language and what book I should buy.

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jack,

First you need to understand the Data modeling of SLCM. Do you have any Presentation about SLCM data modeling?

Prabhat SIngh

0 Kudos

Hi Prabhat,

Highly appreciate your reply. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with SLCM data modeling. Would you help recommend some articles or books?

Thanks!

Jack

0 Kudos

Jack,

Send me an E-mail. I made one for my client. I can share with you.

Prabhat Singh

0 Kudos

Hi Prabhat,

would you like to share this document with me as well?

I'd really appreciate it.

Greetings

RobJonkers
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest to make use of the cookbooks that we provide on our BPX site https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/bpx-highered (section Student Lifecycle Management Best Practices, Implementation Guidelines and Tutorials ).

Plus you could read documentation about the SAP HR-PD framework where SAP SLcM is based on (for the student accounting part you should know that it is related/integrated with FICA. Also for FICA there a numerous of books, documentation available).

Some tips/tricks;

- All off the SAP SLcM transactions start with PIQ*

- Tables start with T7piq*

- Most of the FM start with HRIQ* (includes with RHIQ)

- Swithc framework objects starts with ISHERCM

- Most of the SLcM infotypes are in the17* range

- SAP SLcM object navigator package is named PMIQ* here you will find all of the SLcM related programs.

Hope this helps

Rob

0 Kudos

Hi Rob, really appreciate your tips. They are very helpful. I read a few books. Now I am more familiar with SAP GUI and feel much better now.

0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

the SLcM data model is not available via Data Modeler (Transaction SD11), isn't it?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings