Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EP6 - user group within user group ...how does it work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gang

how exciting to have a security forum at last - a good addition to SDN.

Anyone any idea why the following happens to me in our Portal (EP6 - sp15, PM & HCM):

I assign some roles to user group A. I assign some different roles to user group B. I assign user groups A and B to a third user group, C. I assign some users to all groups. Users in group C have no access at all, neither when they log in, nor when we look at their roles assigned. Direct assignments to groups A & B are fine.

What is the point of being able to assign a group to a group if this is the result, or am I looking at a bug?

Expectantly yours,

Andy Min

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MichaelShea
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Andy,

Let me see if I can help.

Groups A and B and assigned to group C. That means members of group A are also members of group C. Members of group B are also members of group C.

However members of group C are only members of group C. So any roles you assign to group A apply only to group A. Likewise with B, roles assigned to group B apply only to group B.

Now, assign a role to group C and members of groups A, B, and C have that role. So assign general roles to group C and more specific ones to groups A and B.

C-role 1

/ \

A B-role 2

Carl is assigned to group C so he has role 1.

Brenda is assigned to group B so she has roles 1 and 2.

Does this help?

-Michael

Message was edited by: Michael Shea

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andy

I was having a peek at what was on here and found the name Andrew Minshull ... must be the one I know. <b><email removed by moderator></b>

0 Kudos

eh up Gary, yes I am me!.

SU53 dot com?! website looks good

MichaelShea
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Andy,

Let me see if I can help.

Groups A and B and assigned to group C. That means members of group A are also members of group C. Members of group B are also members of group C.

However members of group C are only members of group C. So any roles you assign to group A apply only to group A. Likewise with B, roles assigned to group B apply only to group B.

Now, assign a role to group C and members of groups A, B, and C have that role. So assign general roles to group C and more specific ones to groups A and B.

C-role 1

/ \

A B-role 2

Carl is assigned to group C so he has role 1.

Brenda is assigned to group B so she has roles 1 and 2.

Does this help?

-Michael

Message was edited by: Michael Shea

0 Kudos

Fantastic Mr Shea, thanks a lot, ten out of ten.

The complete opposite of how I thought it would work, as with so many features in the portal.

thanks for the swift response

Andy