cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restarting DBUA after it failed once

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to upgrade oracle from 10G to 11G R2 for SAP ECC with DBUA and it failed with error below after 11% completed

ORA-00119 invalid specification for system parameter LOCAL_LISTENER

ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name LISTENER_S2D

I tried with ignoring this message, it ended up with error ORA-01034 - oracle not available, finally DBUA terminated .

When I tried to rerun DBUA , I am getting following message:

"All components of the selected database have been already been upgraded, select another databse to perform upgrade"

Please let me know how I can restart the DBUA

Please help

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Abu,

Please let me know how I can restart the DBUA

Well .. restore and recover your old database database is the only solution, if an interuption occured in the upgrade process.

Then you can try it again with DBUA. You can also try to continue by performing a manual upgrade (and not through DBUA) - but in this case you need to know what to do.

ORA-00119 invalid specification for system parameter LOCAL_LISTENER

ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name LISTENER_S2D

I tried with ignoring this message

Bad idea ... you have defined a SQL*Net name with init parameter LOCAL_LISTENER, which is used to register the database at the defined listener. Oracle can not resolve that name to a hostname/port/service and so your database will not start .. that's the reason why you get an ORA-01034 afterwards.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

I think you are right .

I have checke the Init<SID>.ora and found local_listener=LISTENER_S2D

I have not configured this parameter with the new oracle 11GR2 , My old 10G listerner.ora and tnsname.ora are copied over to 11G /network/admin which doesnot have LISTENER_S2D.

Now my question is , how was it configured ? where it is coming from ?

Should i have to change this manually ?

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Abu,

Now my question is , how was it configured ? where it is coming from ?

Well this parameter is / was set when running DBUA as far as i know. SAP also recommended to set this parameter, but they removed it from the recommendation list (check sapnote #1431798) again.

Should i have to change this manually ?

Just remove this parameter .. you don't need it in a standard SAP environment and if you run the listener on standard port (1521) the database registers automatically. You would need it for a data guard environment (with broker) for example.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply , it is appreciated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

you need to add the following entry to tnsnames.ora before starting dbua.sap.sh

LISTENER_DBSID.WORLD = (ADDRESS = (COMMUNITY = SAP.WORLD)(PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = hostname)(PORT = portno.))

make sure you give the port no. where the old oracle 10 was registered.

regards

Pankaj

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you can use ORATAB file.

Check oracle version mentioned for your SID.

Regards,

Nirav Shah.