cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluation of XI implementation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi XI experts,

We have a requirement to receive EDIFACT format file from customer for Sales Order Creation.

Though there is only one message, IT head would like to build an integration system for future.

The translation from EDIFACT to IDoc in XI is quite simple, correct?

Actually from my point, I only need a converter that can convert EDIFACT to IDoc.

Then I can run standard report or write code for IDoc inbound processing.

If creation confirmation is needed, we can use standard EDI output, then translation from IDoc to EDIFACT is needed.

Is that a waste of resource to use XI in our company?

Any good suggestion for me?

Btw, could you please provide an estimated cost for XI implementation including hardware, software, installation, maintenance etc.

Thanks.

Legend.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Legend,

How many EDI integrations required with SAP?, if the number of integrations very few then you can think about implementing integration without PI.

If you want use converted, then you have to invest money on that too.. What I would recommend you is write some JAVA modules to convert EDIFCAT messages in to desire out put, this can be done with some efforts(JAVA Experts can help you) then place these files in FTP, then process it, In this case you are avoiding middleware.

If your integrations more then consider about going for PI or any other middleware, but Standard SAP XI will not support conversion of EDIFACT messages in to IDoc, you have to use Conversion agent or See burger adapter, it involves more cost.

PI licensing cost depending how much data flow happened between SAP to NON-SAP and Non SAP u2013Non SAP . SAP-SAP integration free as per my knowledge.

If you want to know licensing cost and hardware better to contact SAP they will help you.

Regards,

Raj

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all your input.

Department Head have decided to use middleware.

Thanks again.

Legend.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with your IT dept...to implement the integration system in the landscape..

if there is a plan to increase the systems in the landscapes then better go for middleware...

which will help to implement the loose coupling between the systems..at the same time need to invest money for this..

if the landscape is going to get increase then definitely middleware help to communicate between systems..

Coming to your requirement to use Middleware for EDI data handlings..if you are planning to use PI for this requirement..then you need to use additional third party systems for handling this..

HTH

Rajesh