cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import into Lookup Hierarchy Multi-Value Field

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

My source data contains two fields (Product ID, Product Notes). I need to map the Product Notes into a Hierarchy Lookup Field on main products table. THe hierarchy table for product notes contains two text fields and both are display fields. My source data for product notes contains a comma delimited list of values that only apply to one of the display fields of the Hiearchy table.

Example:

product1 | 1,5,10

product2 | 1,3

product3 | 1,6,13

How do I map and assign the multiple product notes to each product?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I am doing some assumptions.

1.Product hierarchy two fields in your repository are Name and Code and key mapping is enabled to it in your data model.

2. Product hierarchy has key mapping values imported.

3.And your source data product notes has the values of product hierarchy code.

If that case open import manager and select the remote system for which you have imported the product hierarchy earlier.

Do direct mapping between your source and destination fields.Map your product id to product number and product note(Multi valued seperated by , ) value to your Hierarchy Multi value field on main table, Value mapping happens automatically if your Key mapping value and code in your source file are same.

One setting to be verified before import, under configuration options of Import Manager " Default Multi-valued update = APPEND"

I tested it at my end and import is working fine let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Sowseel.

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sowseel,

I do not understand your assumptions.

I have following tables:

Tablename: Product Notes

Table Type: Hierarchy

Display Fields: Note Number, Note Description

Unique Fields: Note Number

Key Mapping: No

Tablename: Products

Table Type: Main

Display Fields: Product Number

Key Mapping: Yes

The Product Notes table has following example entries already (comma delimitter indicates field seperation):

1, Description of product note 1

2, Description of product note 2

3, Description of product note 3

Notice there is no really hierarchy. This table type was used to have manual control of the order of the notes.

My import data is formated as follows:

Field1 Name = Product Number

Field2 Name = Product Notes

Field1 Value = XYZ

Field2 Value = 2,8,10

In import manager, the product notes field in my destination pane is shown as a heirarchy. Selecting the root level shows destination values of the display fields for this lookup table (i.e. Note Number, Note Description). However, my source data only contains a comma delimitted list of note numbers. I do not understand how to map the values.

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

If you can maintiain Key Mapping for your Product Notes table, automatically value mapping can be done during your import. Key Mapping value will have Value of Note Number(your table field).

Thanks

Sowseel

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

How do I maintian key mapping?

I have enabled key mapping on the table definition in console but this still does not change anything in import manager. It still says I need to map values.

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

You need to add key mapping values in MDM Data Manager Manually. Enabling Key Mapping in Console enables "Edit Key Mappings" for your Product NotesTable.

1. Login to MDM Data Manger View->Select Table -> Product Notes

2. Select your record 1, Description of product note 1 right click on it and select Edit Key Mappings and add the Key Mapping Value.

3. A Pop up window will come up, click on Add button Select your remote system and add the Key as '1'(in your case) repeat it for all the three records. if you want to do mass update of key mapping you can also do that by MDM Data Manager Export and Import Funcationality.

4. Now Login to Import Manager and select the remote system for which you added key in your Edit Key Mapping Section Step3 and proceed with Field Mapping as you did earlier. if values does not map automtically click on "Auto Map" Button.

Note: Value Mapping Automatically does not happen if you selec the wrong remote system when logging in Import Manager.

Hope this will resolve your problem.

Thanks

Sowseel

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

The "Add" button is not enabled in the Edit Key Mapping popup from step 3 above. FYI - We've never used remote system before. All of our data comes from interactive imports via Excel or Text files. Not real familiar with remote system and key mapping.

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Add button in Edit Key mapping might be disabled because of insufficient roles.

Login to MDM Console under Admin->Roles-> Functions tab->Consolidation and Distibution -> Enable Key Mapping might be selected None for your role.

Please Change it to Execute by selecting the Radio button, for enabling the Add Button in Edit Key Mapping section.

Login to Data Manager and check Add Button should be enabled.

For Remote System by default you will have MDM created in the system you can use that for this activity. if you want to have a different remote system you can create using MDM Console.

please go through the below forum link to know about what is the use of Remote System in MDM

Thanks

Sowseel

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

My login is part of Admin role. This role has "execute" for all functions selected. Still the "Add" button is not enabled.

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Create a New Remote System in your console and Chcek "Add Button" should be enabled.

Thanks

Sowseel

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

Creating a new remote system did allow me to edit key mappings for this table. Don't understand how or why the default defined remote system would not.

Also was not able to successfully use the batch export/import to maintain the remote key. After exporting and populating the remote system and remote key fields in Excel, I could not import without it crashing the data manager.

I ended up manually adding the key mappings since there was only 90 records in the table.

Thanks for the patience and help in figuring this one out.