Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TableSpace Auto-Extend

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

In DB02 -> Space Overview -> Tablespaces

PSAPSR3 - AutoExtend = "YES" (5th Column)

Whats mean by this auto-extend here in Tablespace?

Is this means..... "A DataFile will add automatically, after reaching to the maximium limit of the Datafiles"?

Datafiles are automatically extended only until they reach the MAXSIZE limit specified.... Afterwords do we need to add datafile manually or will that create automatically?

In Oracle level, Normally autoextend is enabled in datafiles.

(As i Know, A Tablespace can NOT be "AutoExtend". It is a property of data file.)

Pls... Comment on this issue.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> In DB02 -> Space Overview -> Tablespaces

>

> PSAPSR3 - AutoExtend = "YES" (5th Column)

>

> Whats mean by this auto-extend here in Tablespace?

> Is this means..... "A DataFile will add automatically, after reaching to the maximium limit of the Datafiles"?

> Datafiles are automatically extended only until they reach the MAXSIZE limit specified.... Afterwords do we need to add datafile manually or will that create automatically?

>

> In Oracle level, Normally autoextend is enabled in datafiles.

> (As i Know, A Tablespace can NOT be "AutoExtend". It is a property of data file.)

>

> Pls... Comment on this issue.

> Regards,

Auto Extend means that when your Tablespace reaches its limit i.e. ~ 98% then a datafile is automatically added in it.

TableSpaces are autoextended and not data files.

Regards,

Nirmal.K

former_member199632
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nirmal,

Is there any specific percentage that will add the datafile...?

There you have mentioned as ~ 98%. Is this the default value. If so where is this value defined?

Or

else the adding point is decides by Oracle?

thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry but you got it wrong - datafiles are autoextended and not tablespaces and who told you that autoextension means that a new datafile is automatically added?

If a datafile is set autoextensible you also define the minimum and maximum file size along with the increment size. So the datafile is initially created with the minimum file size. After that the datafile is increased by the defined extend size as soon as it hits the size limits until it reaches its maximum size.

Kind regards,

nirmal_konchada
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

Yes you are correct.............I was wrong in replying to that.

Sorry for a wrong reply.

Regards,

Nirmal.K

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

the autoextend clause is valid only for bigfile tablespaces, which are made by a single data file.

When dialing with multiple-datafile tablespaces, the "autoextend" makes its effect at datafile level.

When facing "autoextend" flag referring to a small-file (multiple file) tablespace, it can be regarded as a mere nominal attribute.

regards,

Loris

former_member227281
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Autoextend with Yes status means that size of existing datafile will be increased automatically as long as the disk space is available.

If the disspace is not available i.e. having less free space or dont have enough free disk space then size of excisting datafile will not be increased and error can occur. What happened when the error occur. Lots of short dump can occur when users ecexute day to day transactions

Hence you must monitor the disk space avaliable or not. If the disk space is not available then change the autoextend for datafile to No by using brtools command or at database level command .Check the OSS notes for brtools command or oracle documentation for database command.

Thanks and Regards

apr