cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server proxy method name and interface operation name

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have successfully used inbound server proxies on several occasions. Each time, without thinking about it, I took the default option where the OPERATION name == the SERVICE INTERFACE name. When the proxy is generated, the ABAP method is the OPERATION name and everything works nicely.

This time however, I tried something different and built a service interface (PMNotification, as example) with the operation name 'Create', thinking that I could also have a second operation 'Update' (for example). The ABAP proxy method then becomes CREATE, but I then get 'NO IMPLEMENTING CLASS....' errors. If I change the operation name to match the interface name and regenerate, everything works again.

SO, my question is this : Is is true that the OPERATION name MUST equal the INTERFACE name for an inbound server proxy ??

If this is the case, then a (inbound) service interface can only have one operation; this doesn't seem right.

Looking forward to any insight.

Guy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

See the replies. An unsatisfactory state of affairs !

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
If this is the case, then a (inbound) service interface can only have one operation; this doesn't seem right.

Open your service interface in ESR and press F7....if the proxy cannot be generated you would probably get an information on this....inbound SI can have multiple operations but then it seems to be a limitation in case of proxy.

Also if your operations have different types of messages (combinations of message type and external definitions etc) then you face such limitations.

Some reference from Michal's blog:

Now the method that you need to call from to send an ABAP Proxy message has exactly the same name as a method 
inside the Service Interface objects in Enterprise Service Repository (ESR is a successor of Integration Repository - IR) like 
shown in the picture below:

Regards,

Abhishek.

Edited by: abhishek salvi on Jan 17, 2011 10:08 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that Abishek.

Your response seems to confirm what I found - that there is a limitation for inbound proxies which forces the use of the same name for the service interface and the operation (and, by extension, that there can only be one operation for this type of proxy). This is not highlighted in the ESR when checking where no syntax problems are shown.

I have been able to add a new operation to the same service interface - GetDetail for example - without a problem in the ESR. This is the behaviour I would expect. It should be (and is) possible to create an interface with one or more operations, each representing a corresponding method. In fact the proxy generates OK in ABAP with the new method GET_DETAIL. The problem arises only at run time when I get an interface registration error. This is alluded to in post and one or two others.

I guess this is an unfortunate 'feature' of ABAP server proxies.

Thanks anyway,

Guy