cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP/Java book suggestions?

Former Member
0 Kudos

To any and all who would care to respond...

I am looking for possible topics to cover in a new book on Java programming for SAP. I am the author of Enterprise Java for SAP. Whereas EJ4SAP was targeted strictly to ABAP developers looking to get their toes wet in Java, this new text would be focused on experienced Java developers looking to expand Java integration with SAP.

The first book has been very well received by the more traditional SAP development community but not so much by those already versed in Java. I would like to hear from the people doing SAP/Java development today what topics they are interested in either learning more about or having a reference to.

Some possible topics include:

-Integrating SAP into a true services-oriented/J2EE architecture

-Deep dive into SAP IDOC libraries

-End to end EDI messaging, including JMS, transport mechanisms, ALE configuration, and of course the JCO IDOC API

-Extended integration with Enterprise Portal (iView to J2EE portlet integration, SSO with external security mechanisms, LTPA tokens, messaging between J2EE and BSP/iView components)

-NetWeaver and Web DynPro development

-Deep dive into the SAP RFCSDK, JCO JNI wrappers, coding with C libraries for performance, etc.

It seems like there is still a dearth of literature on these subjects, but I am not sure what the Java-savvy SAP community is looking for, right now.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards // Austin Sincock

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Austin,

I worked on a prototype project a couple of years back where we tried to bridge this gap between Java Developers and SAP Developers. I was the SAP developer on the project but picked up on many of the Java developers frustrations.

My suggestion is that you focus on the integration points between SAP Portal and the established Web Application servers (BEA Weblogic, Websphere etc...). Most organisations started their relationship with Java (and SAP for that matter) way before SAP WAS was available and have therefore already deployed Enterprise Java solutions on another Web Application Server. Whilst re-deploying these onto SAP WAS may be an option convincing the established Java community that this is the best option can be an uphill struggle. Java Developers will therefore often look for integration points to SAP Portal and SAP WAS to meet their requirements.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Austin,

recently i started my first project with SAP (using JCoIDoc, which maybe soon becomes the most used Java/SAP library for our company).

After spending some time with the tRFC port and IDoc configuration in the MiniSAP test environment, i found that the TestIDocServer example application does not show any reaction to the incoming IDocs.

The SAP IDoc monitor (WE02) however says that everything was fine with the transmission to the tRFC port.

My suggestion is to include some basic hints how it is possible to trace this problem.

Greetings

and best wishes,

Michael

Benny
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Austin,

situation usually is as follows: traditional SAP departments and Java departments are sitting side by side and did not yet have too much contact to each other.

Now with NetWeaver one or the other side starts getting interested in the others world. The first contact usually is something like a first contact with Aliens for both sides. If you ever experienced a cultural shock you know what I'm talking about: While both sides know their turf and expect something similar on the other side they find that even prerequisites are different. (Well, you should have experienced this before as you already wrote a book about this...)

About your topics:

> -Integrating SAP into a true services-oriented/J2EE

> architecture

> -Deep dive into SAP IDOC libraries

To be honest - I doubt any Java developer would do this.

> -End to end EDI messaging, including JMS, transport

> mechanisms, ALE configuration, and of course the JCO

> IDOC API

I would expect people to solve EDI problems rather with Web services then starting a new project on this technology.

> -Extended integration with Enterprise Portal (iView

> to J2EE portlet integration, SSO with external

> security mechanisms, LTPA tokens, messaging between

> J2EE and BSP/iView components)

This definitely is a topic as my guess is that most java developers working with SAP are currently in the portal area. However, don't forget about WebDynpro as it does a lot of this and is expected to cover a lot of nifty details (you don't want to write a book about RPC details anymore, won't you?)

> -NetWeaver and Web DynPro development

absolutely. Especially how the NW components can help each other. Remember it is meant to be a platform, and that means the whole thing is meant to be used for everybody.

> -Deep dive into the SAP RFCSDK, JCO JNI wrappers,

> coding with C libraries for performance, etc.

I doubt this really will help you a lot. When performance matters it is usually a good idea to keep an eye on the infrastructure, as most time is spend sending around messages. Most of the time performance problems can be solved by using traces and profilers. (Some expreience from the development of NW itself...)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Benny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please add some developing application using UME API provided by the SAP into your book.

Or if you know any such book please let us know.

Regards,

-Umesh

umeshm_2000@yahoo.com