cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Composer 7.1 Server (Browser) development and NWDI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm familiar with nwdi and nwds development but am new to visual composer.

We are using the CE server (browser) to develop the models and need to integrate with nwdi.

In the documentation I always see mention of checking in the dc and models but never see any mention of how you

activate or release your changes... when does this happen ? Is this automatic when you check in ? Does the deployment to the runtime system automatically happen ? In that case, how do you test before deploying... ?

Also, when you develop your application , do you use a different server for development then the one you set as the runtime system for development in the NWDI track for your unit tests or do you use the same one and put no runtime system for development in the track ?

-

NEW .... !!

Does anyone actually use NWDI with Visual Composer 7.1 using the Browser development tool ? If you do , could you please just tell me how you actually work with the NWDI... You develop your VC app on the development server and then add to DTR ? What are the steps you do ... just a quick list ...

Exp : in our java development , we do the following...

1) Develop localy in nwds

2) Test in remote server

3) check in and activate

4) Test in Dev.

5) Assemble

6) Import in Test

7) Test in Test system

😎 Approve

9) Import in prod.

What would be the difference in VC when developing using the browser development tool ?

Thanks.

Edited by: Thierry Dagnino on Jan 18, 2011 11:44 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are working with Visual Composer 7.1 and greater you will need NDWI and NWDS for transporting the models to QA and Prod. Even though you have VC perspective in NWDS you will not be able to develop models which will require BW queries. Especially when you are in 7.1 EHP1 SP3. I am not sure of the furture releases like 7.2 if this has been integrated. You will only need NWDS to activate your activities when you check out your model and later check in through VC and release the tranport. You can get around not having NWDS for activation of Activites as you can do that through NDWI web URL and selecting "Component Build Service".

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

As per my knowledge. from VC7.1 onwards SAP is available in NWDI (only from 7.1 EHP1 ) and browser as well.

The idea is to eliminate the use of browser based development for VC App and to enable the life cycle managment &integration techniques. by using NWDS&NWDI.

and coming to your questions.

if u want to have more control over the models its better go for the NWDS with NWDI for VC development ,Without NWDI also u can develope the apps from NWDS .(some limitations are ther for backend access compared to Browser based development).

->with out deploying to your server it not possible to test your application .

->u need to activate and release the changes manually it will not happen automatically

-> frist u can create the dc locally and test teh application then u can move it to NWDI track or you can dierctly strat yourt development from NWDI track itself after a creating a DC in it.

hope i am given some help ful info

Regards,

Govindu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let me make sure I get your point...

In our case , we must use the browser version because of particular features which are not in NWDS version.

Now , with the browser version , I check in the models. I've already tested them in the dev server right....

Then I need to activate and release in order to get to the assembly step and be able to move to a Test server.

To activate and release , I need to use the NWDI web ui and find my activity and activate it and release it ?

Is this it ?

Thanks a lot !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you are almost correct except you can only release the transport through NWDS. You can activate,assemble and move the models through NWDI but only one step of releasing the transport should be done through NWDS. I do not know if you can release a transport through NWDI. By "Release transport I mean comparing to SE10 in R/3 where you need to release the tranport request and by transport of the request through NWDI is compared to T-Code STMS