cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on solaris x86 or sparc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you please let me know the advantages of running SAP on Solaris X86 or SPARC machines. Which is recommended?

Thanks

Joyce

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member227281
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi James,

If the compnay has very few end users to work on SAP i.e. less than 50 users, then x86 is suited.

FOr large ended systems that is for large number of users to work on SAP, SPARC is better choice.

SPARC is recommended.

Thanks and Regards

-apr

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> If the compnay has very few end users to work on SAP i.e. less than 50 users, then x86 is suited.

> FOr large ended systems that is for large number of users to work on SAP, SPARC is better choice.

> SPARC is recommended.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true.

x86_64 is VERY suited for big systems, we run x86_64 systems with 1000+ users, on Solaris and on Linux.

Solaris on x86_64 is a very good choice, a mature OS with lots of features (zones, ZFS...) running on affordable hardware.

SPARC is a RISC architecture, there are even drawbacks in performance if you use e. g. T-series systems (UltraSparc) for ABAP systems and databases (see Oracle Metalink ID 781763.1 - "Migration from fast single threaded CPU machine to CMT UltraSPARC T1 and T2 results in increased CPU reporting and diminished performance").

So it's a matter of taste and choice - and money.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helpful.. Thanks guys.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Running SAP on Solaris x86 means you can choose a Dell, IBM, HP etc (many vendor's hardware) more choices - IMO perhaps lower cost but Solaris x86 is not supported on all x86 machines and not all SAP s/w is supported on Solaris x86

SAP on Solaris SPARC machines locks you into 1 vendor Sun/Oracle for hardware - IMO so perhaps `better` hardware for single large many core SMP machines (eg M9000) and a more supported s/w stack - SAP on SPARC is more common that SAP on Solaris x86

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your choice.

SAP software (most of it) runs on both processor platforms.

Markus