Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between config in administration mode and expert mode

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

We can make changes to FPM-based component configuration via administration mode (SE80, menu bar Web Dynpro Configuration > test > Execute in Administration Mode) or expert mode (user parameter FPM_CONFIG_EXPERT = X), to, for example, add a new tab (main view) to a sap standard application (after enhancing the sap std component config).

I understand that in expert mode any changes are regarded by the system as modifications (as opposed to customisation with administration mode) and hence these modifications could be overwritten by future support pack application. Correct?

Is there any advantage to using expert mode over administration mode, given that expert mode config could be overwritten?

Thanks in advance,

JP.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

luisguereca
Explorer
0 Kudos

1. FPM_CONFIG_EXPERT = A

To call up administrator mode or key user, you need the S_DEVELOP or S_WDR_P13N authorization profile.

All users in client.

Changes to the Web Dynpro built-in and component-defined configurations are stored in administrator mode as delta information in the Customizing layer of Web Dynpro ABAP. Changes in administrator mode are modification-free changes. This is because when a new release or enhancement package is imported, only the Web Dynpro development layer is affected.

2. FPM_CONFIG_EXPERT = X

For UI development by developer as part of design,you need the S_DEVELOP authorization profile.

All users in all clients.

In expert mode , changes to the component-defined configurations are stored directly in the Web Dynpro ABAP development layer . Changes made in expert mode are modifications that are overwritten when a new release or enhancement package is imported. Expert mode allows configuration for an application to be launched from that application.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi,

>

> We can make changes to FPM-based component configuration via administration mode (SE80, menu bar Web Dynpro Configuration > test > Execute in Administration Mode) or expert mode (user parameter FPM_CONFIG_EXPERT = X), to, for example, add a new tab (main view) to a sap standard application (after enhancing the sap std component config).

>

> I understand that in expert mode any changes are regarded by the system as modifications (as opposed to customisation with administration mode) and hence these modifications could be overwritten by future support pack application. Correct?

>

> Is there any advantage to using expert mode over administration mode, given that expert mode config could be overwritten?

>

> Thanks in advance,

> JP.

Hi,

FPM_CONFIG_EXPERT = X allows in the customization level , configuring the application from application itself with out the webdynpro explorer. It is recorded in a transport and considered as modifications. This is explicit configuration.

see documentation here [http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/4b/c1bca00d8147d68e1f3a9f28cdc686/content.htm|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/4b/c1bca00d8147d68e1f3a9f28cdc686/content.htm]

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Baskaran,

Indeed I had already come across the fuller version of that documention, which was linked in the FPM developers guide.

[Floorplan Manager for Webdynpro - Fitting Web Dynpro to your needs| https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-28326];

which attempts to explain administration and expert modes, although doesnt offer much in the way of comparison or explicit advantages/disadvanatges of either mechanism. I see no benefit in modifying at the expert level unless you intend to copy component configurations from one app to another, in which expert mode modifications will be taken. I believe administration mode customisations are also transportable, client dependant.

Regards,

JP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Baskaran,

>

> Indeed I had already come across the fuller version of that documention, which was linked in the FPM developers guide.

>

> [Floorplan Manager for Webdynpro - Fitting Web Dynpro to your needs| https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-28326];

>

> which attempts to explain administration and expert modes, although doesnt offer much in the way of comparison or explicit advantages/disadvanatges of either mechanism. I see no benefit in modifying at the expert level unless you intend to copy component configurations from one app to another, in which expert mode modifications will be taken. I believe administration mode customisations are also transportable, client dependant.

>

> Regards,

> JP.

Hi JP,

yes you are right. i have not seen such difference matrix. you are right about administration mode .

We do enhancements to SAP components such as to modify the behavior of the roadmap previous and next steps, enhance the standard sap classes to add our own custom events. These are all done by the developers at the development environment.

We release our application and our customers can make explicit customizing to rearrange the UI.

In both ways the modifications are not lost or over written when you implement new versions. I think that is the motto of SAP 'innovation without disturbing'

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Baskaran,

Thanks for your reply and further info, I appreciate the dialog between us on this, it helps me and I hope it helps others, as I know from personal experience today that some SAP developers themselves are not clear on the diffrerence.

With regard to your comment "In both ways the modifications are not lost or overwritten" I quote from the fuller explanation on "Fitting Webdynpro..." I posted earlier in this thread, with the excerpt "Changes made in expert mode are modifications that are overwritten when a new release or enhancement package is imported. Expert mode allows configuration for an application to be launched from that application." of particular interest:

"The concrete layout of a Web Dynpro application is determined by the application configuration and the configurations of the embedded Web Dynpro components. These configurations can be adjusted or changed at any time. Floorplan Manager uses the concepts for changing Web Dynpro applications that have been prepared by Web Dynpro ABAP:

Changes to the Web Dynpro built-in and component-defined configurations are stored in administrator mode as delta information in the Customizing layer of Web Dynpro ABAP. Changes in administrator mode are modification-free changes. This is because when a new release or enhancement package is imported, only the Web Dynpro development layer is affected.

In expert mode, changes to the component-defined configurations are stored directly in the Web Dynpro ABAP development layer. Changes made in expert mode are modifications that are overwritten when a new release or enhancement package is imported. Expert mode allows configuration for an application to be launched from that application.

The configuration editor for Floorplan Manager is available to you for making changes. This editor can be launched in the Web Dynpro Explorer or from the runtime of the application. For more information, see Calling Up a the Configuration Editor."

former_member182500
Contributor
0 Kudos

After further consultation with SAP Administration mode is the way to go for non modification configuration.