SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long text in a Custom Field - 5000 characters ?

peter_podgorsek
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi!

I need to migrate some long-texts. I have a z-table where I need to insert an GUID and then with an additional custom field read the long-text and use its content and previously mentioned ID in a " CALL FUNCTION 'CREATE_TEXT' ". The problem I have is that at creation of additional custom field for the up to 5000 characters the "Field length" in a "Customer field" tab accepts only entry up to 99.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Best regards,

Peter

1 REPLY 1

friedrich_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

Yes, you are correct: you are limited to 99 char when adding a ISMW customer field to the customer structure.

If I were you I would create a new DDIC structure containing a field with xxxx char and add the structure as an own structure to the migration object (see the Guidlines ISMW how to do it). In addition you will need to implement an event i.e. CALL02 to call your function module that eventually saves the data on the database (again you find some guidance on this in the Guidelines ISMW).

Still the question is: hat the heck do you want to hide in a 5000 char field? 🐵

Cheers, Fritz