cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Theoretical Weight Vs. Actual Weight

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a scenario where 2 version of the products' weights are captured / utilized in SAP and used for different reasons.

During the Goods Receipt (from production) process, the products' theoretical weight is recorded into the Material Master. When it comes to the Goods Issues process, the actual weight is recorded in the Delivery Order (weight provided via a weighbridge).

The actual weight could be either higher or lower than the theoretical weight.

Our objective is to knock off the theoretical weight during GI and bill based on actual weight.

Any thoughts on how to handle the above?

Thanks.

Navin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member183879
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Navin,

I think this can be handled without any problem.

During the goods receipt is happening from external system, you should pass the weight values also manually either through IDOCs or directly updating in the goods receipt document. This will be your theoritical weight.

However maintain the actual weight in material master and teh same will be used during PGI.

So in nutshell, for one of teh transactions you shoudl anway enter the value manually and for the other transaction you should enable the automatic update in the document from MMR. You can decide which way you want to go manual and which one automatic.

My suggestion would be to go for delivery PGI using masterdata weight as it becomes relevant for billing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Navaneetha,

The theoretical weight is entered manually during GR (after production) based on a certain calculated formula; certain accounting postings will be applied against the stock.

The business process is such that the actual weight could not be entered right before the PGI.

I am actually looking at PGI based on the theoretical weight and to capture the variance later when billing, as per my post above.

Is the above feasible and if so, could you shed some light on how to handle it?

Thanks.

Navin

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I mean, system will accept change in weight before PGI and not after PGI and hence, I had indicated that the weight change should happen before PGI.

How would SAP treat the differences in weight esp. in Finance?

From your comments, I presume, your base unit of measure and sales unit are different. From finance side, all your inventories will be based on base unit of measure only. So you need to maintain the details of theoritical weight and actual weight per delivery in a zee table so that at a later date, this can be taken for inventory purpose.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmipathi,

The Base UoM (Weight - TON) and Sales Unit are different for all sub-processes but in Delivery Order. The BUoM is in Pieces and the Sales Unit in Delivery Order is in Pieces. I am still researching on the conversion factor between these two UoMs.

Material Master BUoM - TON

Inventory - TON (Theoretical)

Sales Order - TON (Theoretical)

Delivery Order - PC (Pieces)

Billing - TON (Actual)

Let's assume that for now, the UoMs are the same i.e. Weight. When the change is made during the PGI (to actual weight) and in the event that the actual weight is more than the theoretical weight, will SAP (DO) allow the processing and PGI?

Thanks.

Navin

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all, in weightbridge, are you using any zee tcode to record any data in SAP ?? If so, you can consider to update the same in delivery before doing PGI. On the other hand, only manually the actual weight is being captured, then the same can be changed manually in delivery. Of course, for that PGI should not happen.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmipathi,

Thanks for your prompt reply. May I know what do you mean by "Of course, for that PGI should not happen."?

Yes, we are planning to develop a customised program to capture the actual weight. However, the actual weight captured will be printed in the Delivery Order form but will not overwrite the theoretical weight in the Delivery Order itself. In billing, the captured actual weight will be used for new price calculation purposes.

We are planning to practise this as to cleanly knock-off the weight on the stock side. However, I believe that this will cause a variance. Hence, may I know the impact in the background and in the integrated module(s)? How would SAP treat the differences in weight esp. in Finance? Any advice on how to handle this?

Appreciate your reply on this.

Thanks.

Navin