cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross platform compatibility/mix - Unix(Oracle) to Windows (Apps)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. I searched but can't find any useful references.

Iu2019m hoping to find research, analysis, references or use cases that help validate the viability of running the SAP products on existing Windows front/middle/application tier servers while using Oracle on a unix backend database.

Can anyone corroborate that it is a good or bad implementation to mix and match platforms?

It is our corporate model so I understand it may not represent the absolute cheapest approach. I need to understand the pros and cons.

There are many white papers describing ALL Microsoft solutions using MS-SQL as database (understandable MS propaganda) but no references to mix and match.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The SAP application server is agnostic of the underlying operating system and database so as long as a client and a database interface library for the operating system/database combination you can use heterogeneous installations without problems.

There are cases where this is even necessary (e. g. having a Unix environment and having the need to access an external MS-SQL database).

Check also

Note 1067221 - Composite note for heterogeneous installation

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately, I can't get to the note. I am not a full fledged customer and I think it requires another login to get to NOTES.

Searching on the note number, I have been able to deduce other people run mixed environments also. I found a few references to people investigating the same thing (Applications on Windows and Database on Unix).

What I am trying to determine is weather it is recommended or not. In other words, do people run into lots of problems because of it? Are there advantages to it? Does it cause further upgrade complications down the road? Are there translation issues that cause slowdowns?

We are planning for a future implementation and trying to be cautious before getting started.

It would be great if I could refer to a successful Use Case / Implementation for a large corporation.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> What I am trying to determine is weather it is recommended or not.

The question is: What is your goal? Having a heterogeneous environment is always more complex than having one OS for all. You thought about Linux as application server? Runs on the same hardware (as Windows) and will integrate easier into a *NIX landscape than Windows.

> In other words, do people run into lots of problems because of it? Are there advantages to it? Does it cause further upgrade complications down the road? Are there translation issues that cause slowdowns?

Translation issues? What do you mean with that?

My question - if I were your consultant - would be:

Why do you want to run the database on Unix and the application server on Windows - what are the reasons for that?

Having the answer for that question one can elaborate pros and cons.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the words of my teenagers, "just because". It sounds stupid and constrained but the preference probably has to do more with corporate history and philosophy then technology or cost. We have a mental focus on planning Unix hardware and DB expansion separate from Windows server procurements.

We have an "approved" architecture with a support organization established that is of the mindset that all our databases should be in Oracle on Unix and our application should be on Windows servers. The architecture was defined at a time when we were more focused on internal application development rather then using COTS applications but it seems to still be the preference today.

The "translation" concern was in case some sort of extra step is required to convert between the platforms. I don't think so but it is best to be forewarned.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We have an "approved" architecture with a support organization established that is of the mindset that all our databases should be in Oracle on Unix and our application should be on Windows servers. The architecture was defined at a time when we were more focused on internal application development rather then using COTS applications but it seems to still be the preference today.

I got the point.

It works and is supported, there are a few special things to be considered when running an AS-Java (see Note 1148109 - Heterogeneous Inst.(Appl. Server Windows, DB Unix)) - but generally it's a common environment.

> The "translation" concern was in case some sort of extra step is required to convert between the platforms. I don't think so but it is best to be forewarned.

You can add application servers on all supported platforms - and run them simultaneously so no "migration" or "translation" needed.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again.

I assume all is good with heterogeneous environments but specific use cases or studies will be hard to find.

Answers (0)