cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Dynpro vs Java Server Faces

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are starting new project which we will be using SAP technologies.

I have the chose between Web Dynpro and Java server faces.

1- Is SAP going to support Java Server Faces in Netweaver studio and the WAS

2- Can someone tell me the advantages and the disadvantages of Webdynpro vs Java Server Faces

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JiriEhrlich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is a lot of technologies you can use for the web UI development in general but you have to be a bit pragmatic.

The primary SAP technology used for the web UI development in next few years will be SAP Web Dynpro. There is a big investment in this area and we are delivering first standard Web Dynpro based applications.

Think about SAP customers using standard SAP solutions. To reduce TCO, they will prefer non-SAP development compatible with standard SAP development technology - Web Dynpro. So the answer is SAP Web Dynpro.

Jiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jiri,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying SAP will not support Java Server Faces ?

We prefer to follow the standards and we would like use SAP technology. WebDynpro is not industry standard, it is SAP standard.

I have tried Java Server Faces and WebDynpro and both they look the same to me. Yo mentioned the webdynpro can help us to reduce TCO , How ?

Regards,

Salah

Regards,

Salah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi salah

I believe that JSF is part of J2EE 1.4 specification and the SAP J2EE Engine 6.40 is still on J2EE 1.2 , my best bet would be that SAP would support it considering the option that some customers would want to migrate there 'then' exisiting JSF applications on to SAP J2EE Engine and also because of the fact that what defines a J2EE platform is the adherence to the J2EE specification.

Other vendors like IBM are bringing in JSF support by december 2004. I am not sure if SAP has plans to support it but I would love to hear any official announcements on this.

For a customer that is SAP centric and has no plans for an alternate web infrastructure ,I think webdynpro would be the way to go

->Considering the out of the box business applications that SAP will deliver with webdynpro being the UI layer.

->The future UI solution for most applications from SAP

->A SAP standard that is not slowed down by the Java community process thereby benifitting SAP to advance the technology at a rapid pace

->Also a feature by feature comparison with JSF will show that webdynpro scores at several levels ,specially when the backend datasource is R/3

->Adopting webdynpro early on into the enterprise would help in building a sizeable knowledge pool within the IT department which would be helpful in customising(my guess) future pre packaged webdynpro applications.

Regards

Pran

iavor_petkov
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Pran,

J2EE 6.40 is J2EE 1.3 compliant.

Best Regards: Iavor