cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI - use for MII transportation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MII folks

Regards to the input I found , I would really appreciate if any of you has been working with NWDI.

In our project one of the challenge is the MII's transportation process from Dev - QA - Production. One chalenge for example is the ussage of SQL template. The tables or schemes might be different between 2 systems (dev and production), and this means each time when we manually export (from Dev ) and import to proudction, we will have to change these SQL to meet the production's SQL requirement. Other example is the ussage of JCO..which different alias and credential in development and in production.

According to best practice of MII, it is written that it is important to have SAME CONFIGURATION among all systems (in which I do no see ANY customer agree with that). Will NWDI solve this issue?

Any comments?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the idea was meant that for similar production environments, it would be best ot keep the MII content/configuration controlled from a central system (in this case NWDI). NWDI also controls the modifications during development wtih content checkin and checkout required along with registration of the developers.

For dissimilar production facilities, there may still be some overlap of general content, but also facility specific development as well. That can be managed by using separate projects for the facility specific content and global applications.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> ......

> For dissimilar production facilities, there may still be some overlap of general content, but also facility specific development as well. That can be managed by using separate projects for the facility specific content and global applications.

>

> Regards,

> Mike

Mike, sorry I do not really catch what you are trying to say here. Before I jump to any conclusion, I would really appreciate if you could explain your above statement.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sure. If you have multiple facilities which all produce a given product, say wheat flour, then the MII project should be pretty much the same for each. A good example of this would be oil refineries (for example Valero). The business is pretty similar regardless of which refinery you look at. There are different historians, different processing areas, etc., but overall the differences in the application are more the mapping of data sources than the overall content.

If one facility produces wheat flour and another produces cold medicine, then the projects would likely show some differences. However, there could still be a similar production dashboard which shows energy consumption or hours worked as more of a global use. So your production facility specific content could be in a separate project from the common energy consumption or employee hours which would apply regardless of the product being produced.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mike

This is totally different of what I am trying to ask. My situation is quite technical specifically regarding the transportation of MII from Development to production. Maybe my first message was not clear and I appologize for that.

Let me try again: Our customer have 3 MII systems (One for Development, one for QA and one for Production).

When we develop our project, we are using the development system only. In the development system we connect MII to a SQL server and use the SQL Query. The SQL server works with schemes. There are 2 access to this SQL server; one for Development and one for Production. If you are in Development system, and if you want to use SQL template and write SQL query you write something like this SELECT * from schemeDev.table1. And if youre are in Production you write something like this SELECT * from schemeProd.table1.

You might notice that if you change the SQL code in Development, you need to change this manually in Production system.

Another example is using the JCO action block. This action block requires alias and credential. Normally customers will not create same access in Development and Production systems due to security. In this case if you need to change your transaction in Development and if you import and export to Production system, the transaction will not work unless you manually change the alias and credential.

So I would like to know if one could use NWDI for the transportation of MII from Development system to Production where I could somehow solve this issue.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry I misunderstood.

Generally the connections to the databases which change from Dev to QA to Prod would be handled by modifications in the Data Server configuration. Use the same server name, but modify the url, scheme, perhaps the ID and pwd, etc.

You should not have to go through your queries one by one to make modifications for each system's connection to the database. If your databases are different in struction for each level, then that is a problem, but should be addressed by changing the databases instead of the queries in MII. Similarly for the JCo/JRA connectors. Use the same names, but modify the connection and credential aliases for each system rather than making modifications through your transactions.

I am not sure, but don't think this approach could be implemented automatically through NWDI. However, it should be very quick to implement since it involves changes in only one place per object (database, connection, credential) which then propogate through all your transactions and queries.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Seng,

I've been in the process of evaluating NWDI and MII 12.1 integration for one of our customers. So far what I've understood is that it'll help you to manage you source code versions as well as the transports instead of the traditional export/import that we've been doing with 12.0.

No where have I found so far that it'll help in transporting configurations as well (and it probably doesn't) and till the time I find such a thing I would stick with what Mike's said above. Keep the names (your Data Servers as well as SAP Servers) similar across the landscapes and manually change the configuration parameters or use the export/import configuration functionality.

Take a look at this whitepaper to understand how this integration works.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/f0d998ba-2076-2d10-b3be-90909838e4d2

The MII Wiki has a few more links if you want to read more.

Thanks

Udayan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I use a global variable set to the owner for the db enviroment you are in. This way the query is the same in all environments.

Something like SELECT * from [dbOwner].table1 where dbOwner is a query parameter.

--Amy Smith

--Haworth