Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticky Bit - Problem...

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have one thing to ask, to clarify... Some weeks ago after a system migration from win/sql to linux/oracle (and after an oracle upgrade from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.1), we faced an error during DB13, the job Scheduled Update Statistics finished with an error! After some research, we found the solution... the reason was the version of oracle instant client that was the version 10.2.0.2 (the first version of this OIC)!

So after I performed the update of oracle instant client (OIC) to version 10.2.0.4 (V3) the error finally disappeared... and it was the solution, which in that moment I thought it had been responsible for this correction!... but now I'm not so sure! Why?! Because the same problem appear again on another system, I performed the same solution, I updated the oracle instant client to version 10.2.0.4 v3 but unfortunately the problem still continue appear! So what I concluded, was that is not the solution, I realized this is not only because of the old OIC version that is installed in our system... there is other problem which is related to permissions!

Later I discovered that the STICKY BIT (?) had been applied before I have upgraded the oracle instant client... and in fact in this new system, after the solution of oracle client update the error still continued appear and in fact only after the application of sticky bit in this system the error definitely no longer appear!

So my question is what is this?... what is Sticky Bit?

I looked in SAP Marketplace if there were any related sapnotes to sticky bit but I didn´t found anything... this is some mandatory procedure?... if so, sap recommends the application of this where? in which situations?

I don´t know exactly what is STICKY bit and what he do... but the truth is that from the moment I applied it, with command ./saproot.sh (with root) on /sapmnt/SID/exe, we resolve the other part of this problem... I tried to search sapnotes in SAP marketplace about this sticky bit but I didn´t find anything... Can you explain me better if sap advice to apply this sticky bit... and if it can origin any problem or if there are any conflict with other things when we applied it on system!??

Kind regards,

Joao Dimas - Portugal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So my question is what is this?... what is Sticky Bit?

I looked in SAP Marketplace if there were any related sapnotes to sticky bit but I didn´t found anything... this is some mandatory procedure?... if so, sap recommends the application of this where? in which situations?

I don´t know exactly what is STICKY bit and what he do... but the truth is that from the moment I applied it, with command ./saproot.sh (with root) on /sapmnt/SID/exe, we resolve the other part of this problem...

Check

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_bit

saposcol is e. g. a program, that needs a sticky bit. Since it calls operating system functions that must not be called by an ordinary unix user (SIDadm) it needs to be owned by root and needs to have the sticky bit set. Setting that bit makes the program being executed as the owner of the program and not as the user executing it.

Markus

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Of course I had already searched in google and wikipedia but even so I didn´t understood the meant, in terms of sap system, of sticky bit... Sorry Markus, I don´t have much experience in linux!

Now I think I understand the meaning and what is its functionality... but explain me another thing, the application of sticky bit with ./saproot.sh changed other four files: brarchive; brbackup; brconnect and icmbnd (this five files now have a red colour)...

So, if this is so important to run (because if I didn´t ran this command the job throught DB13 can not runs) why there isn´t sap notes or sap documentation, discussing this issue and the need to apply the sticky bit to fix this problem?

Thank you,

João Dimas - Portugal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now I think I understand the meaning and what is its functionality... but explain me another thing, the application of sticky bit with ./saproot.sh <SAPSID> changed other four files: brarchive; brbackup; brconnect and icmbnd (this five files now have a red colour)...

Yes, and they have an "s" instead of an "x" if you use ls -l.

The same thing is true for those files. The br*tools must be run as the user running/owning the database software (oraadm during startsap.

So, if this is so important to run (because if I didn´t ran this command the job throught DB13 can not runs) why there isn´t sap notes or sap documentation, discussing this issue and the need to apply the sticky bit to fix this problem?

It's documented - but hidden:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/43/3753c4b87b6025e10000000a422035/frameset.htm

Markus

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Thank you very much for your help and the clarification of this subject (Sticky Bit) and it importance!

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Answers (0)