cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Balancing for Payroll

0 Kudos

Hello all,

We have a Production system with a powerful central instance that we use for day-to-day jobs and users, and then a VM (dialog instance) that we have recently added to act as a instance for payroll users to run their long running processes on.

I would like to know if there is a way to reserve access to the new VM (dialog instance) to specific users, or only to specific jobs, as either of these solutions would be good. The only consideration is that the Payroll lady runs these jobs in the FOREGROUND (I know, strange) and she won't do it any other way. So these user/job filters have to work for DIA jobs, not only BGD jobs.

Does anyone have a good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

After installing the Dialog Instance have you configured Load Balancing method, or How your user got connected on the Dialog Server. If you have not configure the Load Balancing then only direct login on the dialog server is possible. So your Payroll team can login directly on that server, how many work process are on Dialog Server and which type ?

Regards,

Subhash

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Johan,

As mentioned in the prior response, you need to configure Logon Load Balancing on the CI to effectively use the DI for load balancing.

To restrict access for users to the new DI, you can try to use the method of maintaining the profile parameter in the CI login/password_logon_usergroup, and mention a user group for the users whom you don't mention to login through the CI.

This provides the facility (when activated) - that users with the mentioned user group in the profile parameter will not be able to password login to the CI.

Further to mention the background jobs running in the CI, while scheduling the same in SM36, we have an option to choose the server on which the job has to be run. You can use this option to schedule the jobs in the DI.

Please reply on your trials.

Thank you

Regards,

Vineeth

0 Kudos

Hi Subhash,

For your information, I have connected the DI via SMLG, and users are automatically logged onto the DI if the CI is being used. So I would assume that the load balancing is working.

Hi Vineeth,

If I maintain that parameter, how will the system know to automatically switch the users to the DI, if it rejects their password on the CI, as they surely use the same password store?

I am aware of the SM36 approach, but doesn't that only apply to background jobs?

Thanks for the inputs, friends.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Johan,

The situation I had mentioned is without the SMLG configuration, since it was not clear in your initial question. Then again with SMLG configured what is the issue you are facing - like do you specifically have any performance issues when a certain activity is carried out? Please elaborate.

Again the SM36, yes - the approach applies only for background jobs.

Thank you

Regards,

Vineeth

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have a CI and the DI instance.

You want all the payroll users to go to the DI instance for logon and as well as jobs adn limit all other users to the CI?

Since the DI is setup in the SMLG that should perform your load balancing for you. If you want them specifically to always go to this instance, then you can configure their logon pad to point to that specific group within the SMLG which should route them to the DI instance automatically. We currently have 1 CI and 18 application servers. This logon method works well for us using the logon groups which target specific app servers and keeps the CI load to a min.

For jobs, you could go into SM61 (Display control object list)

Hit Shift+F2 (or the button in the toolbar which mine says Job-Servergrouppen)

Here you can define Server groups for background jobs and the instances which those jobs will run on.

You could call one Payroll and assign the DI instance to that group. Then when your payroill users define or schedule a job, they can tell it to use the "Payroll" server group and it will always run on the DI instance.

Regards,

Zecher