Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum password length for RFC

reza_memari
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have an issue connecting a new auditing software to SAP. When connecting through that application, if your password is longer than 8 characters, the application is throwing an error "RFC_ERROR_SYSTEM_FAILURE - Name or password is incorrect".

It only connects if password is 8 characters or less. Our Password parameters allow minimum of 8 characters, which means our users who oneed access to this application have to have only and exactly eight alpha numeric characters.

I need to know if this limitation is from SAP or the software(ACL Direct Link Auditing Software) and how to overcome this.

We have ECC 6.0.

Regards,

Reza Memari

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

reza_memari
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Juan and Imtiaz,

Thank you both for your input. We are having ECC 6.0 SAP BASIS Rel 700 SP Level 19. Here's the response I received from ACL Support:

"Thank you for contacting ACL Technical Support.

There is a limitation in some SAP versions, the SAP password needs to have a maximum of 8 characters.  This is usually why you would get this error message.  Please make sure that your SAP password has maximum 8 characters, then try to connect again.

There is also a different password issue with SAP ECC 6.0. For some versions of SAP, the password needs to have 8 characters and has to be all upper case. Please find more information with this SAP defect. The link below is from the SAP Community Network.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us"

I have a strong feeling it's a limitation on their software and not SAP as even the notes referred to the link they provided relates to older versions of SAP. Just wanted to make sure I'm looking in the correct direction.

I had a quick look in the downward compatibility password parameters options also, our's is set to 1, which is the default setting. I'll try changing that and update this post.

Thanks and regards,

Reza Memari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its a limitation with SAP software for some releases only. JFYI.. I ran into a similar issue with release 640.

As a workaround you can maintain password less than 8 characters.

Rgds,

Soujanya

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Reza,

That depends on what version of SAP youre running, but assuming your version is recent this maybe a restriction on your Audit software, RFC's use the default password restriction as set in the system profiles.

Regards

Juan

ImtiazKaredia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do not think this is due to any issue with ECC.

I think, your software is able to handle only 8 character passord.

When you are passing a password with length greater than 8 may be your software is truncating the password to only 8 characters and passing that to SAP.

As a result SAP is throwing incorrect password message.

Can you contact the vendor of your software