cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we build Universe on top of Database Views?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I was given some database Views by other team and asked to build universe? Can we build universe in a similar way how we build it using tables?

I searched online to find some useful material but couldnt find anything.

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible or not.

Thanks for your time.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes its possible

universe designer it acceses the views the same way you can access the tables

both of them you can access the same way

good luck

former_member207342
Contributor
0 Kudos

Its recommended to use views instead of using tables for Universe deign as view comes in handy if something changes in DB structure.

--Kuldeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

No it isn't. It adds a whole new layer of maintenance.

Views will need rewriting every time you change the structure of the database.

Refreshing the structure within the universe is easier. If table owners/names change then using aliases within the universe negates that issue.

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

also performance issues will come when you use views

only special cases you will need to use database views.

good luck

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot everyone.

Can anyone let me know the performance issues / maintenance issues if I use views to build universe?

Thanks again.

amrsalem1983
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Performance,

the view has to be run at the database level and bring all the iformation into the database temporary storage, and then your BO system will extract the information is seeking from that view to be return to the report.

its like you're not accessing your information directly, there is one more layer between the SQL generated by Webi and your database tables.

maintenance

any updates for the database structure, you have to go manually and update each view in the database level.

in this case the refresh structure in universe designer will not be usefull for you.

finally, its recommended at all to use views in your universe, maybe in special cases depends on your business needs and you have to be aware of how huge the information is returned from that view.

good luck

Amr

Former Member
0 Kudos

The recommendation as to whether or not to use views in your universe is irrelevant. You use views where there is no better way of getting the data out of the universe. Typically views are written either because there isn't a report writing tool available and it's a common query that's run in TOAD, SSMS, etc. or if there are shortcomings in the database structure itself. So ultimately, you shouldn't need to use views against a correctly written data warehouse. However, in the world of OLTP, you'll sometimes find that someone's written a well-tuned view to achieve what you want. I'd still suggest trying to replicate that view as a query through the universe - it will improve your understanding of the underlying database.

Answers (0)