cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance monitoring..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I was deployed in L1 support. I need to monitor all the SAP server daily and need to enter all the values. But my boss is asking for threshold values for everything. I searched, but i din get exact values.

Please tell me the threshold values for the following parameters.

ST02:

Buffers:

1. Export/Import -

2. Roll area -

3. paging area -

4. extended memory -

5. Heap memory -

ST06:

CPU :

1. user% -

2. system% -

3. idle% -

4. I/O% -

5. Average memory paged in -

ST03N:

Average Response time and Average database time for

1. Dialog

2. Background

3. RFC

4. Update

Please help me out in this guys as soon as possible..

Regards,

Santhosh Kumar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is it ia production system? Did the customer before go live used the Go-Live service from SAP?The SAP Go-live service does some analysis session in the system to check whether all the parameters are correctly set or not. Correct paramters means your system will be running smoothly. Anyways what Threshold values should be used comes only with experience. But there are general values (Which may not be suitable in your case). There are few notes. I will search and post you the note numbers.

Regards,

Jyotish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

In transaction ST02 this thing we generally ask our L1 consultant to check:

Following needs to be checked

01) Hit ratio for each buffer > 95%.

02) Sometimes if hit ratio < 95% & no Swaps, you can ignore it.

03) Current usage of extended memory < 80%.

04) Please check the following thresholds for SWAPS for individual Buffer:

Program Buffer = 10,000 hits per day

Other Buffer's = 1,000 per day

05) Check for free space & Free Directory for all buffers.

In transaction ST06N or ST06 this thing we generally ask our L1 consultant to check:

Check for following paramater values:

01) CPU Utlization. Ideally 60% should be free.

02) Disk reponse time should be <= 20 ms.

03) Page out/s should be 0.

04) Under LAN, check for Collisions & errors (in/out). It should be zero.

05) Check for SAPOSCOL Status.

In this transaction ST03N:

Average Response time and Average database time for

1. Dialog -- 1200 ms. Avg DB time should not greater then 40%

2. Background -- NA

3. RFC - 1200 ms

4. Update -- NA

FOr more details pl refer EWA report for avg response time.

Hope this information help you.

Thanks

Deepak

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Santosh,

the threshold values are only a relative and not standard. if you go to ST02 and ST06 it should give you most of the info.

Edited by: venkatesh koukuntla on Jan 11, 2011 12:37 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh,

Look at your current system and see if you have any performance issue. Mainly look at ST02, ST04 and ST06. See utilization of memory ( Heap, Roll, extended memory) for both dialog and non dialog work processes and look at the value if it reaches the maximum value. Do not check this when system is restarted, you need to leave it run atleast for a week.

If any of the memory have not reached it maximum value, that means you dont have memory issues and you may take that value as threshold value.

If any of the memory value is reached maximum, you need to figure out how many times it reached it maximum value, you may get some dumps in ST22 which gives indication about memory issue.

Adding work process does not increase memory considerably, it mainly depends on application ( how big the read is, how it is being read, how data is updated etc.,). There are lot factors needs to be considered as well.

My suggestion is, as I mentioned above if you see any bottle in the memories using above transactions, that might be your judgement to upgrade memories.

If you dont see any issues in memory, you can add your work process and monitor it again.

Hope this gives little information to start with .

Thanks!

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for ur valuable response..

BUt what i need is the exact values which is the allowed values for all the parameter which i've mentioned in my 1st post.. please help me out guys..

Regards,

Santhosh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh,

You can view the assigned maximum Parameter values by using trx RZ11 and edit them as required in RZ10 (or view the parameters by selecting the activated instance profile and checking extended maintenance option or basic maintenace (depending on ur requirement)), but its best u read zero memory configuration note before tuning.

Please brief ur question aswell.

xymanuel
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI santhoshkumarvellore,

Performance monitoring is not that easy.

The "main" Counter for reporting is the Average Dialog response time, because this is the Time the users feel on the frontend.

A healthy system should be in 250ms-400ms average.

Background / RFC and Update Times are no times which directly slow down user activity.

% CPU Usage should not be higher than 60% on x86 architecture because the system should be able to handle CPU peaks. (% Idle > 40)

The Main buffer you should have an eye on is the extended memory. In peak, the usage should never be more than 75% of its max possible Usage (you see it in ST02). If your extended mem is exhausted, your system will be terrible slow!

To Paging Rates of the memory, i have to say, it depends! Unix/Linux Platforms try to store every page in memory, if there is fewer memory available the OS begin to page out. At Windows it is different. Windows try to page out unused pages. In memory pressure Situations, windows begin to page in.

So in Unix/Linux, the page out / sec rate is where you have to look at, in windows the page in / sec rate.

In sum, your system should not page in/out more than 20% of the main memory per hour.

If this is happening, buy more RAM or reduce the memory usage of your SAP Appserver or Database.

The %IO is no good counter. Better check responsetimes of your disks. Disks where DB Datafiles are stored should have an read latency <15ms. The DB Logpartition should response <10ms in write latency.

Another good counter is the DB Buffer Cache Hit Ratio (SAP transaction depends on used DB) e.g. ST04 on MSSQL. It sould be >99%.

I recommend you to buy the "SAP Performance Monitoring" Book from SAP Press.

ST02:

Buffers:

1. Export/Import -

Swaps are possible and allowed during normal activity.

2. Roll area -

3. paging area -

4. extended memory -

5. Heap memory -

ST06:

CPU :

1. user% -

2. system% -

3. idle% -

4. I/O% -

5. Average memory paged in -

ST03N: