cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of ECC planningtime fence when planning with APO SNP

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using SAP ECC for execution, and SAP APO SNP heuristics for planning.

So, for a product planned in APO, the MRP type in ECC is X0.

So, as there is no MRP planning in ECC for such a product, what is the use of the ECC planning time fence? I think it becomes redundant in ECC - yes? In fact, I do not see it in the stock reqs list (MD04).

So, in ECC, all that 'planners' can do is to manually reschedule planned/production orders - yes?

Any shortage alerts will only be visible in APO - yes?

Thanks for any advice on this...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please find below the answers from my side.

Two questions in my mind...

So, if MRP type = X0 in ECC, the planning time fence is not seen in MD04.

First of all, we should not have any planning time fence in ECC, as it is not adding any value for products with MRP type X0. Yes in MD04 we can not see it.

2. How can ECC users easily distinguish between planned orders which are in the 'short term' from those which are beyond the SNP production horizon?

I think they have to use APO alerts. I think that should be right approach as APO is leading planning tool.

Thanks

Amol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amol,

This is interesting...

If we're planning a business with dynamic demand changes in the short term, I think we're saying that the SNP production horizon should be as short as possible, so that APO can react to demand changes. And, as you say, APO alerts are used to highlight problems.

But what if the business has production cycles of several weeks, and so wants to manage planned/production orders (moving them, rescheduling them) in a short term horizon of several weeks in ECC; doesn't this suggest a longer SNP production horizon?

Thanks...

Former Member
0 Kudos

APO,

Decision of where to set the planning time fence/production horizon has nothing to do with APO, it is a business decision.

How far out do you wish to 'firm' your production plan? This decision varies, based on product line, manufacturing process, marketplace, costs of changeovers, many other factors. Shorter might be better for your company. Longer might also be better for your company. Only you can decide that.

Best Regards,

DB49

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Group,

In your scenario, most planning tasks are carried out in APO, not ECC. In addition to the rescheduling task you mentioned, it is also usually possible to create or delete planned/production orders in ECC.

Most planners I know usually end up just logging onto APO and staying there. Not much reason for them to even log onto ECC.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

DB,

Thanks for your reply.

As you say, planners could create/change orders in ECC, but will the planning time fence on the product master still be considered in ECC?

Thanks...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As APO is leading planning system now, we use SNP Production horizon in APO.

I think all the alerts will be only available in APO SNP only. As you mentioned correctly, ECC system will be only get used for execution.

Please let us know if it helps you. Please also let us know if you require any more inputs from our side.

Thanks

Amol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amol,

Thanks for your quick response!

Two questions in my mind...

1. So, if MRP type = X0 in ECC, the planning time fence is not seen in MD04?

2. How can ECC users easily distinguish between planned orders which are in the 'short term' from those which are beyond the SNP production horizon?

Thanks...