cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaxDB standby DB for DR through offline File System backup restore.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Installing and Configuring the MaxDB standby database for DR.

Is it possible to restore the offline backup taken of MaxDB through Data Protector 6.11? The offline backup i.e. file system /sapdb, /sapdb/SID/sapdata1, /sapdb/SID/sapdata2, /sapdb/SID/sapdata3, /sapdb/SID/sapdata4, /sapdb/SID/sapdata5, /sapdb/SID/sapdata6 & /sapdb/SID/saplog. I want to restore this offline backup on other server and configured the other server as standby database for DR.

My question is once I restored this offline file system backup on other server how to initialize the database i.e. how to configure the database as standby database. As we do in Oracle we take the offline file system backup and then restore on other server and then start the database in mount state and then configure it as a standby database.

And also like in Oracle Dataguard we can enable the log shipping and auto apply logs on standby database as automate. But I want to know is there any other way in MaxDB to log ship and log apply other then scripting?

And also like in Oracle Dataguard we can do the switchover from Standby to Primary and Primary to Standby. And then later once primary is back online we can put that database which is in standby to primary. Is that possible in MaxDB? If yes then please let me know the steps?

Thanks,

Narendra

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there.

Ok, looking at your question I see "In Oracle this works like this and in Oracle we do it like that".

But you don't have Oracle here - it's MaxDB.

MaxDB doesn't come with a real standby-db management.

No automatic log shipping. (bad)

No automatic fail over. (worse)

You can however, implement a kind of poor-mans standby.

This is well documented in the SDN Wiki for MaxDB: [HowTo - Standby DB log shipping|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/MaxDB/HowTo-StandbyDBlog+shipping].

An alternative would be to use additional software for standby management like the one from Libelle.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks for the reply but please can you let me know whether it is possible to restore the offline backup taken of MaxDB through Data Protector 6.11? The offline backup i.e. file system /sapdb, /sapdb/SID/sapdata1, /sapdb/SID/sapdata2, /sapdb/SID/sapdata3, /sapdb/SID/sapdata4, /sapdb/SID/sapdata5, /sapdb/SID/sapdata6 & /sapdb/SID/saplog. I want to restore this offline backup on other server and configured the other server as standby database for DR.

Thanks,

Narendra

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Lars,

> Thanks for the reply but please can you let me know whether it is possible to restore the offline backup taken of MaxDB through Data Protector 6.11? The offline backup i.e. file system /sapdb, /sapdb/SID/sapdata1, /sapdb/SID/sapdata2, /sapdb/SID/sapdata3, /sapdb/SID/sapdata4, /sapdb/SID/sapdata5, /sapdb/SID/sapdata6 & /sapdb/SID/saplog. I want to restore this offline backup on other server and configured the other server as standby database for DR.

>

Technically possible? Yes.

Supported or recommended? NO WAY!

Copying database files is sooooooo Oracle-in-the-90s !

Just take a usual MaxDB Backup (which can also go directly into your dataprotector) and restore this.

Easy-cheesy!

But before going to implement a standby-db solution for a DBMS that you obviously neither know nor understand, how about reading the documentation or the Wiki pages or the "Mind the gap" blog series here on SDN?

There's tons of information available and you're just goingt to make your live unneccessary hard.

Don't take this the wrong way, but copying database files is just a plain failure with MaxDB.

regards,

Lars