cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP in Amazon EC2 Cloud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We are planning to run SAP ECC 6.0 and Netweaver BI systems using Amazon EC2 for Demo and Training. But , I found very few Notes or Documents about it and have few questions ,

1.) Can we have Linux or Unix as the OS for SAP on Amazon EC2 because most of the related blogs are taking only about Windows platform?

2.) Is there is separate licensing for SAP on Cloud?

3.) Can we use Amazon EC2 for commercial purposes?

Regards,

Vignesh Palaniswamy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vignesh,

1.) Can we have Linux or Unix as the OS for SAP on Amazon EC2 because most of the related blogs are taking only about Windows platform?

- Both SUSE and Redhat Linux are supported on AWS EC2.

2.) Is there is separate licensing for SAP on Cloud

- I am not 100% sure of SAP's position on licensing on AWS EC2 but SAP licenses do work fine on an AWS EC2 server. One thing to be aware of with Linux on AWS EC2 is that each time you stop and then restart an EC2 instance (this is different than just an OS restart, this is more like powering off/on a server) the SAP hardware key will change, since by default the hardware key is based on the mac address of the first nic card. You can change this behavior as per note 1178686.

- Not 100% sure of your question but I am assuming you are asking can AWS EC2 be used for production SAP systems. SAP does not currently support public cloud for production (see note # 1380654). AWS EC2 is a great platform for Demo/Training systems. I have been using EC2 for these types of systems since mid 2009.

Regards,

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

All Gurus,

We are planning to build SAP BO demo servers for internal training purposes.

When I checked the blogs, most of them are saying about SAP on Amazon EC2.

Could anyone suggest, how to build our requirement on EC2?

Pls. let me know if required more information on our requirement.

Thanks & Regards,

UB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi UB,

I am Solutions Architect with Amazon Web Services and I focus on SAP systems on AWS. I would be happy to help you in setting up some SAP BO demo systems on AWS. You can contact me directly via my email address in my user profile.

Regards,

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

I'm actually in the same boat as UB. Possibly a little bit further. I've built my EC2 instances, defined EBS the storage, elastic IPs, etc and downloaded my software. I've successfully installed BOBJ's XI 4.0 Ent Server and have moved on to installing the EIM scenario.

I began with the Standard Windows 2008 64 bit instance. I can RDP to it just fine, but have hit a rock-solid brick wall getting anything outside (or inside) AWS to connect to my main instance. No HTTP connection - although Tomcat is running - serving up content on the server itself.

I've opened ports in my security group to the world (0.0.0.0/0) to no avail. I've allowed ALL inbound and outbound traffic in the Windows firewall. I can run tracert to the public DNS name. However, even with the ports opened I can trace the packets all the way to Santa Clara before seeing them dropped - I believe at the AWS Igress firewall - but not certain.

The only thing I'm able to successfully do, outside of working on the server itself via RDP, is use the command line tools - which are a little cumbersome.

I do think I'm close - just missing a tweak here or there.

Any thoughts on where I should go from here?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Linu is possible

2.) Is there is separate licensing for SAP on Cloud?

Contact Service provider

Yes

Regards,