cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decide between smartform and adobe form

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have a requirement where in I need to design and develop a form similar to DD250.

I'm in between the decision process of choosing whether to develop it using Adobe forms or Smart forms.

So, can some one please suggest the criteria that needs to be considered while choosing the technology for developing a form.

Also, please advice on the pro's and con's of each.

Thanks for your time.

-Amit.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

OttoGold
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have been doing adobe forms for 3 years and am I BC480 trainer. I recommend you to use adobe, because the design is more point and click and less programming. SAP is not creating any new smartforms, all the SAP new development is in adobe forms only. why would you create your customer development using the technology which is years old and already replaced by a new one? when using adobe forms, the layout is always the same/ one every machine/ for every user/ every printer. the outou of adobe forms exists as a file. smartform has no material form.

Otto

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suggestion: look at the supplied example forms for Adobe and SmartForms first and see which has a good example form that is close to the data that you need. Adobe has the edge with WYSIWYG, but I think that Smartforms may be better with coding within the form. If the company has people that can support one better than the other then do it that way, but if about the same, I would go with the one with the better example to start with.

former_member196280
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are given an option,then It is upto you to decide and go either with Adobe form or with Smartform, Note, you need adobe life cycle designer to be installed on your machine to develop adobe form.

Regards,

SaiRam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sairam,

Thanks for the response. I was given the freedom from the customer to chose which ever is best.

But considering the both. Which is better for

easy maintanence

easy changes/ enhancements

program easeness...

reusability

etc.

By the way the Adobe Life cycle designer is installed .

Thanks

-Amit.

brad_bohn
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you've read the documentation, you know that the programming is very similar but the layout development is somewhat different. Since you are asking, I will assume that you have no experience with ADS. As a manager, I will just say that you should not learn a tool at your client's expense. Go with the tool that provides the best value for your client's money. If you are experienced with smartforms, use that. I still find it easier/faster to implement smartforms but that will change over time.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well Brad,

My client is ready to train me if need be. we consider it as an investment. My only concern is to give a product that is best as per current circumstances.

Thanks for your time.

-Amit