cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The system cannot connect to the Application Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everybody,

I have a problem when connecting to my BPC Application.

I get the following error when trying to open BPC:

"The system cannot connect to the (http://xxxxxx) Application Server. Verify that you have specified a valid Application server name, or see if the application server is unavailable at this time."

We have to reboot the application server to have acces again to the application.

The osoft website was also unavailable.

The server diagnosotic was OK.

And when consulting the tblLogs table I found this message:

==============[System Error Tracing]==============

[System Name] : ApplicationService [Message Type] : ErrorMessage [Job Name] : OSoft.Services.Webservice.ApplicationService.ApplicationService.Query() [DateTime] : 1/3/2011 4:27:35 PM [UserId] : GROUPE\Deshors [Exception] DetailMsg : {System.NullReferenceException: Object variable or With block variable not set. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags) at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack) at OSoft.Services.Webservice.ApplicationService.ApplicationService.ValidateUser() at OSoft.Services.Webservice.ApplicationService.ApplicationService.Query(String strQueryType, String strParameter, String strContext, String strSecurity)}

==============[System Error Tracing End ]==============

==============[System Error Tracing]==============

[System Name] : Configuration [Message Type] : ErrorMessage [Job Name] : ServerDefault.GetValue [DateTime] : 1/3/2011 4:40:08 PM [UserId] : [Exception] DetailMsg : {System.Exception: Cannot create ActiveX component. at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction.CreateObject(String ProgId, String ServerName) at OSoft.Services.Application.Configuration.ServerDefault.GetValue(String strKeyId)}

==============[System Error Tracing End ]==============

Any help?

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

It seems you didn't run the link http://nameof application serve/osoft from application server.

You run that link outside of application server.

Any way I suggest to follow the instructions from error to have more information about the error.

Please make sure you don't have any proxy set for IE into application server.

It will be a good information to know if you have multiple records into tblserverinfo from Appserver database for application server and web server.

I mean application server 1....

and after that another records with application Server 2

During the installation did you use FQDN or short name for application serevr name and SQL serevr name?

Regards

Sorin Radulescu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sorin,

Sorry for the delay..

Here is the error trace where opening the osoft web in the server side:

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the

current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of

the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[Exception]

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags) +672269

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack) +1993

OSoft.Consumers.ZFP.WebBase.Utility.GetLastUserApp(CPMUser& mUser, String strAppServerURL, String strSecurity, String strContext, Boolean bServerPathReset) +1419

OSoft.Consumers.ZFP.WebBase.PageBase.Page_Init(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2201

System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0

System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e) +132

System.Web.UI.Page.OnInit(EventArgs e) +16

System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +143

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean

includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)+1477

-

Version Information: Microsoft .NET framework version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET

Version:2.0.50727.4205

Thank you for the help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

What version of BPC are you running? 7.0 or 7.5?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry for not mentioning this from the begining,

We are on 7.5 SP3 .

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I'm encountering the same kind of error. My application server is on W2008 64-bit and 7.5 SP04.

In fact, the issue is sporadic. Indeed, all works fine and sometimes for unknown reason, nobody can connect anymore on the Osoft web-site (Server Error in'/Osoft' Application) :

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the

current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of

the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

Exception

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object] Arguments, Boolean[ CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags) +672269

Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object] Arguments, String[ ArgumentNames, Type] TypeArguments, Boolean[ CopyBack) +1993

OSoft.Consumers.ZFP.WebBase.Utility.GetLastUserApp(CPMUser& mUser, String strAppServerURL, String strSecurity, String strContext, Boolean bServerPathReset) +1419

OSoft.Consumers.ZFP.WebBase.PageBase.Page_Init(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2201

System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0

System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e) +132

System.Web.UI.Page.OnInit(EventArgs e) +16

System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +143

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean

includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)+1477

Version Information: Microsoft .NET framework version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET

Version:2.0.50727.4205

through either from the clients or the server itself.

Same problem when they try to run the BPC Office client :

The system cannot connect to the (http://xxxxxx) Application Server. Verify that you have specified a valid Application server name, or see if the application server is unavailable at this time."

I have to restart the BPC server in order to fix temporarily the issue till the next time...

@Sorin : in a previous update you said "During the installation did you use FQDN or short name for application serevr name and SQL serevr name?"

I do not remember exactly what we use during the installation, but could you please let me know what we should have used during the installation : FQDN or short name ? Is there a best practice ?

What we do not understand is why this issue is encountered randomly and so not systematic....

Any other suggestion will be welcome.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Lionel

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is worth a try:

Give Network Service full access to this folder:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

or if a 32 bit web server:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tony for your feedback. I will check your suggestion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi expert,

Unfortunately, we still encounter the issue !!

We get Unhandled exceptions in the W3WP.EXE process, but the IIS logs do not show anything wrong.

Here is the Windows event warning message we get :

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 1/31/2011 11:43:11 AM

Event time (UTC): 1/31/2011 10:43:11 AM

Event ID: 0295c38777734029a3cec37ec035fa45

Event sequence: 8

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/OSoft-1-129409441580590866

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /OSoft

Application Path: C:\PC_MS\Websrvr\Web\

*Machine name: **************

Process information:

Process ID: 4323

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:

Exception type: Exception

Exception message: Invalid UserID

Request information:

Request URL: http://localhost/Osoft/Launch.aspx

Request path: /Osoft/Launch.aspx

User host address: ::1

User:*******\Administrator

Is authenticated: True

Authentication Type: Negotiate

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:

Thread ID: 12

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace: at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Symbols.Container.InvokeMethod(Method TargetProcedure, Object[] Arguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, BindingFlags Flags)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateGet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack)

at OSoft.Consumers.ZFP.WebBase.Utility.GetLastUserApp(CPMUser& mUser, String strAppServerURL, String strSecurity, String strContext, Boolean bServerPathReset)

at OSoft.Consumers.ZFP.WebBase.PageBase.Page_Init(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.OnInit(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Page.OnInit(EventArgs e)

at OSoft.Consumers.ZFP.WebBase.PageBase.OnInit(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Thanks in advance for your help

Lionel

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the operating system of the server? If windows 2008, do you have user account control turned on?

Also, do you have application server role installed or just web server role?

I recently ran into a similar problem with sp4 on windows 2008 R2. UAC was on and application server was installed.

We uninstalled BPC, removed both application server and web server roles, turned off UAC, then installed just the web server role with the correct settings, installed BPC, and everything worked fine.

I think the main problem was having UAC on during the BPC installation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed UAC is currently enabled and application server role is installed.

But I did not find any SAP note about this..

When you encountered similar issues, was it sporadic ? only a server reboot could fix the issue when it was occuring ?

I will try to disable these components but I cannot reinstall all my environments (I have 3 environments installed in the same way) !!

Is there something that has been escalated at SAP support about this ?

Kind regards,

Lionel

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do not know about a note. We had an issue where we installed servers and immediately got these error messages going to the "/osoft" page. There was no way to do anything else, so we went the re-install route.

FYI- reinstall is not that bad in most cases - the appserver database is left in place, so your appset info is usually preserved -especially if you are running single-server or standard multi-server environments. (definitely back everything up first...)

I very much suspect UAC rather than application server, so it might be worth a try to just uinstall bpc, turn off uac, then install bpc again up to at least the same patch level you had it.

This is not anything that was discussed directly with SAP. We just tried the reinstall in hopes of avoiding many hours of troubleshooting, and it worked for our situation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure that we are talking about the same issue. Indeed, in my case, the issue is really sporadic. I mean, all work fine during 2 days and suddenly the problem comes... After restarting the server, all work fine again..

Really strange.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe JicoMiriam who encountered the same sporadic issue could confirm if the UAC was activated on the server...

sorin_radulescu
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Please check the installation log because it seems something is wrong into intsllation.

Please provide more information about Operating System from Application Server and alsoversion of SQL server used.

Accessing http://applicationserver/osoft page what is exactly the error message received? (access thispage directly from application server)

Please make sure into IE - Tools- Internet Option - Advanced - "Show Friendly HTTP errors" is disable. To be sure we are receiving complete information about error when you access http://appserver/osoft

Kind Regards

Sorin Radulescu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thank you Sorin for your propmt reply

This is our environment:

Database Server / SSAS :

Windows 2008 Server P2 US Standard Edition 64 bits

SQL Server 2008 SP1 QU06 US Enterprise Edition 64 bits

SQL Server Analysis Services 2008 SP1 QU06 US Enterprise

Edition 64 bits

SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 SP1 QU06 US Enterprise

Edition 64 bits

Application Server/SSIS:

Windows 2008 Server P2 US Standard Edition 64 bits

SQL Server Integration Services 2008 SP1 QU06 US Enterprise

Edition 64 bits

SAP BPC 7.5 SP3

This is the error we get when connecting to the osoft website (from clients):

Server Error in '/OSoft' Application.

-

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

</system.web>

</configuration>