cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reorganisation in database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have archiving for some of the tables.I want to know whether is there any report which if we run then we can find out how much space we can reclaim.Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please check the following SAP notes, it will provide you most of the information you need.

Note 541538 - FAQ: Reorganization

Note 821687 - FAQ: Space utilization and fragmentation in Oracle

Especially point 5 in note 821687: 5. How can I determine the scope of the different fragmentation types and the unused space?

Kind regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks all for the wonderful responses.Happy new year to everyone.If the large enough tables then it would be diffuclt to determine the number of rows.I will get back once i have read all the notes mentioned in the thread.

Thanks,

Ambarish.A

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If it is very less count of tables then you can easily comare and get the exact difference that made.

Just check the size of particular table before archiving and post-archiving........The difference can give you exact figure of space.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Edited by: Nick Loy on Jan 7, 2011 7:46 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Purely depends on your archiving strategy and the tables where you are doing archiving.

Detailed query can help you and us better.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Thanks a ton for the reply.For example we are archiving table DBTABLOG.earlier there for example there used to be 100 entries now we have only 50 entries only after archiving.how do we know how much size we can reclaim by seeing the reduced entries.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well if you delete half of a table's rows, then the table will be roughly be half the size after a reorg. Also the indexes will be much smaller. There is no report to exactly forecast your space spavings.

You could of course work with a few SQL statements to find possible candidates for a reorg. You can have a look at for an example.

Good luck, Michael