Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gateway restart : What will happen ??

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I just wanted to know what will happen if i restart the gateway for one of the application server.

(I know, it can be done by SMGW and it starts automatically in few seconds. I am interested in knowing side-effects for this.. eg. running transaction will get disconnected and dumped or it will also reconnect ?.. something more.)

My problem is.. on 1 app server, all workprocess goes in CPIC stopped state and status remain waiting for gateway.

thanks

ashish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The applcation server will not get any requests and will not be able to send any responses from that gateway.

Consider changing the below parameters for the application servers:

gw/max_conn,rdisp/tm_max_no,rdisp/max_comm_entries,gw/max_overflow_size

Regards,

Vamshi.

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

No parameter change please, everything was fine till last week. Nothing changed much in 2-3 days.

Yes fine, as i have seen earlier this get started in 4-5 secs. correct ?

I doubt there are few hanging sessions internally.. or something like it. Not sure.

Problem is, i can see only few Connected processes in SMGW but many processes keep waiting from start.

thanks

ashish

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Has someone restarted Gateway with hard Shutdown.. and faced any problem ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have done it in the past, and it worked. But if you have heavy system load (especially RFC), then you have a good chance to kill something. You will also disconnect any server program registered to that gateway, so the connection will have to be reestablished. Under some circumstances it is possible that the gateway won't restart at all.

It is always better to restart the whole SAP instance if anyhow possible. If you have never tried it, then always try on a test system first. Why do you want to restart your gateway at all? You should check dev_rd, dev_disp and dev_wX for error messages.

Cheers Michael

Edited by: mho on Jan 6, 2011 8:30 AM

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I restarted it cleanly and everything is fine now,