cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem restoring from tape a backup with different retention days

jmarty
Discoverer
0 Kudos

As part of our procedure to test data restore for the SAP platform, recently we tried to restore a backup of the QAS SAP database from tape but had problems . During the analysis we think this problem happened because the retention of the backup on tape differs from the one in the configuration of SAP initSID.utl file; originally, the backup was made to a virtual tape using the brbackup tool /expiration parameter of 3 days, then cloned to a physical tape with a longer retention (30 days).

As a temporary solution to restore the data, we extended the u2018expirationu2019 parameter in the brbackup/brrestore configuration file (.utl) and since we still had the logs of the original backup (.anf file), we were able to complete the restore succesfully. We then changed back to the original the expiration time in the .utl file

We need to run the restore option in Production (PRO) environment but still we are not sure if this workaround is acceptable. Does anyone know if this option is correct or if thereu2019s another known solution for this case

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julio

I believe you have posted your query in the wrong forum and hence you might not be getting the responses you would want.

This forum is for Operational Performance Management Business Applications like Spend Performance Management and SCPM.

Regards

Rajesh

jmarty
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks. What would be the right forum for a question like that.

We're trying to get the best practice for using third party vendor for backup/restore such as LEGATO.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julia

Not quite sure.

Here is what I would do:

1) Go to the "Forums" tab at the top of this page

2) Look thru the Forum Categories (I would start with SAP NetWeaver)

3) Go in ad see if there is anything that fits your need

Regards

Rajesh

jmarty
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thank you.