cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User has valid load balanced GUI user connection, why is there an RFC user?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We're working on a project to restrict the number of users logging in directly to the Central Instance, and most users should be logged in across application servers using logon load balancing.

However, we notice in SM04 a number of normal users on the CI flagged as 'type' RFC. I know some transactions call the CI directly or spread load/fire off processes on different servers, but I would then expect the 'terminal' to show the calling server IP address / name - what we are seeing is the user's workstation ID, suggesting they are connecting directly to the CI?

I'm not sure this is the case though... if we look at those particular users in AL08 we can see a second occurance, always on one of the valid application servers, showing transaction IDs and type 'GUI'. So it would seem that they have a valid GUI connection to an application server...

So why is there also a RFC connection on the CI, with the users workstation as the connecting terminal?

This only shows for a fraction of the users...

Are these users connecting via a valid load balancing group/the SAP GUI?

NB: this is a huge system (5000 concurrent users) that has been around for a long time, with users connecting from all over Europe, so we don't actually know how half our users connect!

Thanks

Ross

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well can you see if these users always use a specific transaction?

There also is a bunch of non-SAPgui tools that use RFC to communicate, like BI Bex Explorer or learning solution authoring tool etc. These tools sometimes use the saplogon.ini config, or have their own config.

In your case it still might be the simplest solution to ask a specific user to get to know what he is doing exactly. It could be something simple as printing a document...

Kind regards, Michael