cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kernal upgrade error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In ecc6 i am trying to do kernal upgrade. befor upgrade it was 52 now wants to do 278. following error showing while extracting this file SAPEXE_278-20000972.SAR

SAPCAR: could not open for writing dsrlib.dll (error 28). The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Pls help me in this.

Thanks in advance,

Prathap G

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just perform the following steps:

1. Stop SAP system in SAP MMC.

2. Stop SAPOSCOL in services.msc

3. Download the reqd. kernel files in a local dir ex: temp .Ensure temp has nothing but the 2 downloaded kernel files.

4. Copy sapcar.exe from the actual kernel dir to temp.

5. Rename it to sapcar1.exe

6. Run sapcar1 -xvf "*.SAR" in temp.

7. Copy all files except sapcar1, SAPEXE** and SAPEXEDB** files into the kernel dir under sys\exe

8. Start SAP system and SAPOSCOL.

Rgds,

Soujanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prathap,

From the DLL file error message it seems you are working on Windows. Your message clearly states that, the SAPCAR is being used by another user/application, it may be a hung process as well. try to locate it in task manager and kill it. If still the issue not resolved, restart your system.

Regards,

Sanujit

Edited by: Sanujit Purohit on Jan 5, 2011 12:03 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Assuming you already have stopped SAP and its SAP services, take a backup of the kernel files, and then rename the file being locked by the process, in this instance, dsrlib.dll to dsrlib.dll_bak. Then proceed to the kernel upgrade. Also, you have to have an updated SAPCAR.exe as mentioned above .

Regards - Dunstan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

To upgrade the kernel the follow the steps as details below:

u2022 Stop the SAP application, including the database

u2022 Login as user sidadm

u2022 Make a copy of the files in /sapmnt/SID/exe

u2022 Copy the new kernel archive file in the directory /sapmnt/sid/DVEBMGS00exe

u2022 Uncar the new kernel in the directory /sapmnt/SID/exe as follows:

o cd /sapmnt/SID/exe

o SAPCAR u2013xvf

For more Kernel upgrade info, go to :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70d8838d-cb8f-2c10-7ab8-d1504670f...

Regards,

Kiron.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

thanks for your valuable response... i did whatever you told. but now i am getting one more error.

SAPCAR: could not open for writing sapcar.exe (error 28). The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Pls help me in this regards.

Thanks in Advance,

Prathap G

Former Member
0 Kudos

you need to uncar the latest kernal in folder other than exe folder

then copy all the uncar files to exe folder

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are getting the message becasue SAPCAR is already existing in the folder where you extract the kernel files and when you extract thoese kernel files it is not able to overright that SAPCAR file.

Take a backup of the exe folder and then rename the sapcar in the exe folder as sapcar1.

Move the kernel files into the exe folder and then try with the following command

sapcar1 -xvf kernel_file.SAR

ImtiazKaredia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you shutdown SAP system, SAPOSCOL?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Download the latest SAPCAR.exe file from marketplace and use it in exe folder (take backup of old SAPCAR file).

Thanks,

Subrata