cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling unit process step by step

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We intend to use handling unit functionality.

Our FG let's say FG001 gets packed in container.

I have mapped this as following.

I have created 'Container' as code with material type VERP- Packaging Material. Maintained the required data in Sales org. tab page.

I have created packing instruction in POP1 with container as packing material & FG001 as material.

I have maintained the determination record in POF1 (Frankly I didn't understand the relevance of this step, but did cos has been suggested in several threads.)

Now I have to perform the packing process of FG001 in HU02.

But system is throwing me an error as 'No packing instruction could be found for material FG001', message no. VHUPD002.

I have stuck up there. Kind request you to help me in this, regarding any configuration & processing step, if I am missing.

Also I am few questions to get clear.

1. How to maintain the batch no. of packing material 'Container' while creating/ generating HU as my packing material is batch managed, and need to have information in which HU the batch of packing material is utilized.

2. What happens to the stock statement (MMBE)of both the materials i.e. FG001 & Container when those are get packed i.e. HU created/ generated.

Please respond urgently.

Timely answers will be rewarded.

Mimiri

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Packing instruction determination automates the packing, whether the Istruction is for Ship to party or for Stock.

This is mandatory when you going with Automatic Packing. Can you tell me what determination record you have created.

To view handling unit in MMBE

MMBE - > Enviornmrnt -> Handling unit.

Also you can see through HUMO.

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

VS,

I have created determination record with type as RMA2.

With that I can pack the FG material in HU02 but I can not generate the HU. What is the difference between pack & generate the HU?

Also I am not able to do PGI to delivery with HUs already created in VLO1N.

I have searched SDN as well as Google for this but couldn't get the exact solutions of problems/ queries.

SAP library to is not that descriptive.

Could you please elaborate the procedure in details & answer my queries mentioned in the earlier replies.

Mimiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Any update on this.

Mimiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Packing means loading HU with stock. You can load HU with material as well as you can empty it.

You are unable to save the pack HU? Are you using automatic packing button ?

A. Reason can be stock not avialable of FG.

B. HU location might not be mapped.

I feel HU dont have stock in it. when you do PGI make sure HU is having stock in it. Use t code HUMO to view HU with stock.

I have never used packagaing material with Batch so i may not be able to help you in that.

Regarding booking the cost of HU, Creating and using Hu does not have any cost element on it. So you can not map HU with packaging material stock. For that you need to use manual consumption method (201 movement)

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi VS,

Thanks.

I am bit confused with HU creation.

I mention what I have understood, correct me if I am wrong.

We create HU for FG in FG storage location, then we transfer it to other storage location say HU01. This HU is then transfered to next 2 to 3 storage location say HU02,HU02, HU03 & so on, as & when required. From HU03 it gets dispatched against sales order.

So my question was, when the packing material will be utilized for HU then how the stock statement will be seen?

When the HU will be moved from storage location to storage location, how the stock statement for packing material & FG will look?

And how to select the HU which is already created in sales order delivery and to have packing material as line item?

Please help as I am stuck here.

Mimiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As i mentioned above if you using packaging material in HU it will not effect on stock.

You need to manually consume stock of it.

When you move HU from one location to another you can trace it out through the material movement. Like if you move HU with VLMOVE from one location to another you can use 311 movement.

If you want to use already created HU in VL02N then just paste the HU number in the field Handling unit, Packinagaing material as well as FG goods will be copied in it.

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

VS,

Thanks once again.

You got it right. I was confused as I was unable to understand why packing material is not moving along with the FG material.

Moreover our packing material is container. Once it is packed container moves from plant to plant & then to final destination.

As we have to track the movement of the container, it was necessary for us to the have stock statement.

I am still surprised why standard SAP doesn't support the movement of the packing material along with the contents i.e. FG?

Now to tackle this, we have thought of a way out.

We have maintained two material codes for container. one is dummy container and second is main container for which we have to track the goods movement. Both will be having same material type as VERP but only difference is later won't be having packing material type in sales view. So it will act as normal material.

While creating HU with HU02, both the materials with quantities will be entered in pack material section. Dummy packing material serve as packing material. Here my question is what is HU creation & HU generation? Because system is throwing me an error while generation as 'no packing instruction are there for the material although I have defined determination source in POF1 but when I save the HU with out generating it, system doesn't throw this error

The HU is getting created but I am unable to enter that HU number in VL01N while creating the delivery. How to do that?

MImiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You getting error as the HU created is emplty i.e. no FG material is present in it.

Check once again the Packing inst determination record created is existing for material and plant combination.

When you use "Automatic packing Button" system look for determination record and then packing instruction associated with dertmination record. If it is found then the material which need to be packed is automatically packed into HU.

This step is missing in urs case.

Regards,

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

VS,

I have come across several threads which mention that the goods movement not possible for packaging material when it is used as packaging material for an HU.

So even if it is batch managed & stock is lying against the batch, it's of no use.

As described in my previous reply, I have thought of a solution where in dummy packaging material will be defined as 'P' & main packaging material will be defined as 'M' in packing instruction & main packaging material will be packed along with FG material so that at least I can have goods movement against it.

But the problem arises now is that the picking of that HU won't happen as the main packaging material is not part of delivery & it throws an error.

Figuring out now how to solve this.

Please help.

Mimiri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can't you check the count of HU and then do the consumption manually. I know you need to follow manual process in which chances of errors are more. But thats the only option i feel.

If you will go through above process you need to make Packagaing material FOC .But because of whcih it will be added into sales order line item and will be visible on billing also. I will suggest you to do manually.

Vishal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

'No packing instruction could be found for material .. This error will come if you have not maintained the transaction POF1 or you have not maintained completely..

Please check again in your POF1..

and also the thread..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Karthik,

Thank you.

I got my determination record corrected. Now the FG is getting packed & transfer is happening to the destination storage location.

The stock statement for the FG material is fine. It shows the correct stock at both the storage locations.

But still my original queries are unanswered,

1. How to maintain the batch no. of packing material 'Container' while creating/ generating HU as my packing material is batch managed, and need to have information in which HU the batch of packing material is utilized.

2. What happens to the stock statement (MMBE)of both the materials i.e. FG001 & Container when those are get packed i.e. HU created/ generated. Here the FG statement is as per the requirement. But what happens to the packaging material stock. It still shows the same stock at it's base storage location. When the FG is getting transfered from it's base storage location to the destination storage location, then why the same thing happens to the packaging material.

3. How the cost of the packaging material impacts when the HU is issued to the delivery? Will the goods issue happen for the packaging material also, just like the FG material?

Could you please satisfy these queries?

Mimiri