cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC5.0 system is having warning "Error calling the central lock handle"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have issue "Error calling the central lock handler status" in our SAP system .

We did restart of ECC SAP system. At the start of activity we only make CI and DB down and don't bring down the 5 AS that are asoociated with this SAP system. After starting CI and DB (AS were already up during this time) we gor alerts that :

"Error calling the central lock handler status".

1) Does this mean that since lock status is only maitained by CI so the error message comes.

2) Is it a right practice to just stop/start CI and DB and not the respective aplication servers, would this create any significant issues. I suppose after startup we would only get some Error dumps and this is it. We do this practice to reduce time for our system restart activity.

Regards,

Ashish Robinson

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

It is recommended always to stop your application servers as well and only to restart them when the Central Instance has been restarted.

Problem is when you don't restart your application servers that all instance buffers remain active, this can give conflicts when the Central Instance will be restarted again.

Proper sequence is:

Stop all application servers

Stop Central Instance

Stop DB

Start DB

Start Central Instance

Start all application servers

I honestly think you will loose that much time by restarting all your application servers.

We use scripts, to restart CI, DB and 8 application servers, it only takes 5 minutes (most of time to stop/start DB and CI).

I hope this can help you.

Wim Van den Wyngaert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your answer , I do agree that app servers should also be stopped before stopping CI and DB.

What i wanted to actually understand is that "Error calling the central lock handler status" error coming in our case is it because of our approach of not stopping app servers and only stopping CI and DB??

Please let me know on this.

Thanks & Regards,

Ashish Robinson