cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Number management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

Please provide step by step method for serial number configuration.

My requirement is serial no. and equipment both should be created by system at the time of GR.

and number range should be synchronized (Serial number and equipment number should be same).

Please explain step by step procedure..

Thanks in advance

Rahul

Edited by: RManchanda on Jan 3, 2011 4:58 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thnks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

To create the Equipment at the time of GR use Serialization Procedure as MMSL and keep "Equipment Required" as 02, while creating Serial; Number Profile. For sysnchronizing Serail Numbers with Equipment Number use check provided as "Ser Level" in the Material Master. I think this will resolve your problem.

Regards

SM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mohan,

When I am doing dis (Ser level in material master) i am getting error saying "Asynchronous serial-/equipment numbers exist".

Kindly suggest

regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Please reply,

I am really stuck up in this very badly.

Thanks Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

Please refer the links below. These may help you.

1. http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/Print46c/en/data/pdf/LOMDSN/LOMDSN.pdf

2. http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/007f38ea-f800-2d10-d99f-aec6c28d9...

Regards,

Vaibhav Mishra

Edited by: Mishra_Vaibhav on Jan 3, 2011 6:44 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thnks a lot vaibhav......I wanna know how could i maintain number ranges for different different serial number profiles....cause i want synchronization of equipment and serial number...

Thanks

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check this link.

Also read documentation of user exits IQSM0003 to IQSM0007 in SMOD

Vaibhav Mishra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts/Vaibhav,

Any idea about how to handly this error.

Thanks

Warm regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello!

Try this:

1. Create serial number profile in spro. Path is Plant maintenance -> Master data in plant maintenance -> technical objects -> serial number management -> define serial number profile

2. Then don't set the check box of existence required, select category,

3. Serialization procedure - -MMSL. seral usage - 03 and equipment requirement as 02.

4. Assign this profile in material master under plant data/ storage 2.

5. Now make a GR w.r.t. PO or 561 mvt type.

6. Don't forget to set the check box under serial number tab in item details.

7. Make GR, system will genrate serial numbers and equipments.

Regards,

Vaibhav Mishra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please share the error ID/ number.

Vaibhav

Former Member
0 Kudos

Following is the error msg i m getting

*Asynchronous serial-/equipment numbers exist*

*Message no. IS195*

This is coming when i m setting serial level 1 an material master where serial number profile is already assigned...

even if i change the serial number profile and try to set it as 1....then also same error is coming

Thanks

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear vaibhav....any idea?????

Regards

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rahul,

Reason you are getting error:

If you keep serial number level as 1, it means that the serial number and equipment number are kept synchronous; that is,

when master records are created, the system always sets the equipment number the same as the serial number. But in you

case it is not possible because you have already used equipment number range by creating some equipments. Therefore serial

number is starting from 1 but equipment number is starting from say 100002341. Therefore is is not synchronised. If you are

worknig in Quality server then there is no problem you can take care in production server. However, if you have uploaded

master data in production then I you will have to define a new number range for that equipment category.

I recommend you to keep serial number level field blank in material master, you will get a unique combination of serial number

and equipment. It is less complex. Revert if there is any problem.

Regards,

Vaibhav Mishra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vaibhav,

If I do not insert 1 as Rev Lev in master data how can manage the equipment no = serial no.

the problem in my environment is that in Production some serial number has been duplicate for the same material because a program error. The customer asked to us to avoid this possibility and I thought to the serial number level that ensure the uniquiness of serial number.

i cannot set this value as you write because equipments already exist.

i set the external number range of equipment as the equipments alredy created but i cannot insert rev lev = 1 yet.

please, have you any idea to synchronize the existing equipments.

thank you very much.

Maria Grazia