cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validation on Multilingual Fields.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MDM Experts,

I am using MDM 7.1 sp05. I have configured the workflow to get triggerred whenever there is an import of new/changed record. I import the Material Master data into MDM where on of the Field is Material Description which is maintained in English and German.

Whenever there is change in material Description either in EN or DE - it needs to be approved. Hence i have made a Split using the Branch Step - with the a Validation. So, this Validation would determine if there are any changes in the Material Description. If so - record is sent for Approval step - if not it would be rolled back.

ISSUE is when there is a change in EN description or Both in EN and DE the Validation Works fine, when there is a change in German Description alone it fails - meaning not identifed as a change and the record is rolled back. I have tried writing Validations Logging on to both EN and DE language - but it only fails for Changes on DE language description.

I have tried the following Validation :

1. Material Description <> [Original]. Material Description

2. Materialkurztext <> [Original]. Materialkurztext

3. Material Description <> [Original]. Material Description OR Materialkurztext <> [Original]. Materialkurztext

4. IF(Material Description <> [Original]. Material Description, TRUE, FALSE)

All the above detect excatly when there is change in EN but not when its DE.

Expecting your expert suggestions !

Thanks,

Arumugam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you tried using the Language functionality in Validation -> Functions?

I believe it could answer your requirement as it allows validating the expression per the connected language.

A validation expression using the Language functionality would look something like (this is an example for a length validation):

IF(Language=English [US] THEN

LEN(Description)>2

ELSE IF(Language=German [DE] THEN

LEN(Description)>2

))

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Hedda Cohen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arumugam,

Unfortunately, this is not possible. I mean you can not validate German DE when you have opened Data Manager in Primary(English EN) language.

Please refer the similar below thread for more details.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

I have tried building the Validation in German, Also using the Language Selector I have made my Logon Primary Language to German. But still, it does not work for German Description Changes alone - but it works for English Description changes.

Regards,

Arumugam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arumugam,

As i said above this is not possible. I hope you didn't go through that above thread. Anyways i explain, see you can not validate any other language rather than the language in which you opened data Manager. It means if you have opened Data Manager while giving login credentials and language as English, you can not validate any language other than English thats what is happening in your case you are able to validate English but not German. Interestingly, if you open your Data Manager with Language German DE, run this validation it will work well now here for German DE not now for English EN. So you need to understand it will validate only that language in which you will open your data manager. Please refer again the above similar thread with same problem which i have given in above post.

Kindly revert if you still have any doubts.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mandeep,

Thanks for the reply - but,

I think you didnt get my previous reply correctly - I have build Validation in GERMAN and My Primary Logon Lanuguage is German - But even then it doent work for GERMAN description Changes - but still works for ENGLISH Language description changes alone in which ever Language i login.

As per your statement - when i login in German - its should work for German description. But thats not my case - even when i login in German - it only works for English desc. changes and doesnt identify German description changes.

Regards,

Arumugam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arumugam,

Firstly, your Expression is not fine. In Validation Expression tab, Go to Functions tab and click on Langauge, then in Expression you will get something like this as shown below.

IF(Language= English [US] THEN

language_specific_expression

ELSE IF(Language= German [DE] THEN

language_specific_expresson

ELSE

Otherwise Expression ))

Now start writing your logic, I suggest you to please test this below expression at your end and then revert with result and findings.

IF(Language= English [US] THEN

IS_NOT_NULL(Material Description)

ELSE IF(Language= German [DE] THEN

IS_NOT_NULL(Materialkurztext)))

You can select DE field Materialkurztext when login with DE language from drop-down Fields tab of Expression.

Now take this case. Open your two Data Manager sessions one with EN langauge and other with DE.

Select a record whose value is NULL for both languages. Run this validation in both data managers, you will get Validation fail. Now in DE Langauge Data Manager, write something for field Materialkurztext say ABC, now run this validation again, it will pass(success) now in DM (DE) and when run this validation in Data Manager EN, it will fail.

Kindly revert with result.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini