cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Change :"Odbc to Jdbc in biar File"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am new learner for BOE XI Universe Designer.

I have biar file with odbc connection.

But i want to change biar file into jdbc connection using universe designer.

How to export biar file with changed jdbc connection.

If you can provide step by step it will be very useful to speedup the process.

Please help me on this

Thanks in advance,

A.yousuf alam.

Edited by: yousufalam on Dec 30, 2010 8:37 AM

Edited by: yousufalam on Dec 30, 2010 10:03 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

YOu cannot change the ODBC connection to JDBC in the BIAR file. I would recommend to export the BIAR contents in your BO repository using the ImportWIzard and then create a new JDBC connection and assign it to your universe.

You can create a new JDBC connection if you open the Universe Designer, login into your BO server and go to Tools->Connections . WHen you have created the connection you can import the universe from your BO repository into the UNiverse designer (File->Import) and then switch the connection to the new one (Under File->Para´meters).

Which BO version do you use?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

Thanks for your reply. It helped me in finding out the place to make connection.

I am using Business Object Enterprise 12.0.

I created Generic JDBC Datastore. For this, I have updated the classpath in the jdbc.sbo file.

But I could not understand what is the use of the parameter 'JDBC Class'. Because, during connection creation, even if I give an invalid JDBC Class entry in jdbc.sbo file, it still says 'Server is responding' while performing Test Connection.

I'm worrying about this because I have created my own JDBC Driver which is a wrapper over pure JDBC driver.

Also please let me know how and where the JDBC URL is stored (asking this as I may to change it at run-time for testing purpose).

Thanks

Yousuf

0 Kudos

You should try to see if you get any data by trying to view the contents of the tables in the universe. Just select a table in the universe designer, press the right mouse button and select Table values... there.

Regarding the JDBC URL this is stored in the conneciton object itself. You can change this probably by using the BOE SDK.

But I am not really sure about your requirement here. You have said that you would like to change the URL on runtime? How do you want to trigger this?

I am not sure about the JDBC class parameter but it looks to me that this is the namespace for the JDBC driver implementation.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

Thanks for your information

To make my requirement more simple, I need to use the following JDBC connection details (sample details only) to create a Generic JDBC Datastore.

Driver: com.abc.JDBCDriverImpl

URL: jdbc:abc:<content>

Username: xyz

Password: xyz

Now would the following steps fulfil my requirements:

1. Provide 'xyz' for Username, 'xyz' for Password and 'jdbc:abc:<content>' for url during Generic JDBC Datastore creation

2. Provide 'com.abc.JDBCDriverImpl' in JDBC Class entry in jdbc.sbo

3. Publish the updated BIAR File

Also please let me know whether all the activities that are performed through InfoView uses this Generic JDBC Datastore.

Thanks

Yousuf

0 Kudos

Username/password/URL settings apply only for the universes using the connection object you have created.

The modifications in the jdbc.sbo you mentioned apply to all universes using the Generic JDBC driver.

Does this answer your question?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it is.

I have one clarification here.

In jdbc.sbo file, I changed the JDBC Class as 'oracle.jdbc.Junk' (an invalid entry) instead of 'oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver'.

After doing this change also I'm able to create reports and perform other activities in InfoView.

But it should not work right, as I have configured an invalid Driver class.

So I'm confused whether the JDBC Class entry is actually used for database connection.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Yousuf

0 Kudos

Did you change the jdbc.sbo file on the BO server or just on your client? Did you run the reports in the InfoView or in the WebI rich client? Did you restart the BO server after the change?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

I changed the jdbc.sbo file on the BO server.

I'm working with the Reports through InfoView.

Yes, I restarted the BO Server after the change.

Thanks

Yousuf

0 Kudos

That is indeed strange. I assume that you created a new connection AFTER modifying the jdbc.sbo file. Correct?

Have you tried modifying the file on your client then try to create a JDBC connection using the changed driver and check if the local version of the universe works (eg. when browsing the table values in the universe designer).

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

My Requirement:

I have a BIAR file which is configured to use Oracle Client.

Now I have to change the connection type as JDBC.

What I did:

1. Installed BusinessObjects XI 3.1 in a Windows XP machine. In this machine, I have provided invalid JDBC Class in jdbc.sbo file.

2. Imported the BIAR file through IMPORT WIZARD.

3. Through UNIVERSE DESIGNER > Universe Designer Parameter screen, edited the existing connection and selected Generic JDBC DataStore

4. I gave valid Username, Password and URL in the screen and tested the connection.

It said, "Server is responding".

My question is it should not work right as I have provided invalid JDBC Class in jdbc.sbo file.

This is my question is all about.

0 Kudos

Have you tried to browse the table values in the universe designer AFTER you pointed your universe to the JDBC source?

Does this work?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ya, I tried to browse tables after pointing to JDBC source. It worked.

0 Kudos

Can you post your jdbc.sbo file here? At least the part with the Generic JDBC and the Oracle JDBC definition.

Regards.

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stratos,

As you suggested, I tried updating the jdbc.sbo file before creating the Generic JDBC Datastore connection.

It worked fine.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Yousuf

-

Here goes the sbo config:

<DataBases>

<DataBase Active="Yes" Name="Generic JDBC datasource">

<JDBCDriver>

<ClassPath>

<Path>C:\JAR\ojdbc5-11gR1.jar</Path>

</ClassPath>