cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source Code Control for Java development in 6.20

nablan_umar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am new to Java development. How do you control source code (versioning/transport) for Java development with the base R/3 is 6.20. I believe Java Development Infrastructure (JDI) is only available in 6.40. Is this the correct statement? Anyone that has work on 6.40 with Java can explain?

Let say we have this setup:

Applications are in 6.20

Portal will be EP 6.0

Do we need Web AS 6.40 to develop Java for Portal with base R/3 of 6.20. Or we can use Developer Studio to create Java accessing R/3 6.20 and display in Portal 6.0. If this is the case, how do you manage transport is you are not using JDI in 6.40.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nablan,

I believe you are development J2EE applications. JDI only runs with WebAS 6.40 which supports J2EE spec. 1.3. The developed J2EE archive will not be able to deploy to WebAS 6.20 which only supports J2EE 1.2 spec. So if you want to deploy the created software build from JDI and deploy it to WebAS 6.20, then the answer is unfortunately no.

But, if you just want the Portal be able to display your application in an iView inside, then maybe you can just develop and deploy your application to the WebAS 6.40 system. Then create an iView in your EP to point to the app in the 6.40 system. That way your app will not need to deploy to WebAS 6.20.

Regards,

Marc

nablan_umar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Marc,

Thanks for your reply.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nablan,

In WebAS 6.20 there isn't any source control system or transport system come with the Java stack. For source control, you can use any 3rd party control system like Perforce or CVS.

For Java development with WebAS 6.20 it doesn't have NetWeaver Developer Studio with it. But you can use the regular Eclipse. To access R/3, you can just go through JCo for RFC communication.

Regards,

Marc

nablan_umar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Marc for your reply since it is clearer now. Since 6.20 does not have SAP delivered source control, is it possible to use Web AS 6.40 for Java development in Netweaver Developer Studio since it has JDI but accessing the application data in 6.20, and then display it in EP 6.0?