cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periodic Job and Conflict

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to schedule a periodic job to run every 5 minutes, but I don't want another job instance to start if an instance is already running. That is, I only want 1 job running at any time. Any way to do this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

jan-erik_lovlie2
Explorer
0 Kudos

An external job scheduler can handle preventing more than one instance of a job from running at the same time without using any resources on the SAP system(s).

Check out:

http://ecohub.sap.com/software

and search for "job scheduler"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its not possible to use the same job as dependency.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

You can try to select AFTER JOB as start condition. Give the same name of the job as name. I am not sure if it will work o not. You will need to test it.

Regards,

Tajinder

arpan_paik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Reduce the number of background job work process to 1 may serve the purpose. However I never did the same. You may check in sandbox 1st to check that out.

Regards,

Arpan Paik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arpan Paik,

>>Reduce the number of background job work process to 1 may serve the purpose.

Not a good suggestion.

arpan_paik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sunil,

When the idea is to run 1 batch job at a time then I do not see any reason to switch to reducing wp number. Anyway we keep multiple batch wp to run multiple job at a time.

However the requirement itself is not explanatory on the real purpose. However if the purpose is really required then would like to know your view why it would not be a good idea please.

Regards,

Arpan Paik

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

Any reason why there should not multi job run on same time ?

What could be the impact ??

Thanks

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not possible with SAP standard functionality. If it is a Z* report you are scheduling, you can customize it with in the report to check for any other instance running.

Regards,

Sanujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before using the CPS external scheduler, we wrote a utility abap report able to check if a job is running.

We specify this report as first step for jobs which must run only once at a time.

I works perfectly and you only have to make the effort (write the program) once.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

All this is not necessary. If second instance of the same job starts when an earlier instance is still running, simply the second job will cancel out. Job log will simply say that the earlier job is still running. Doing all these elaborate procedures just to eliminate a canelled job entry is not worth the effort!

Cheers!

Javed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Javed,

Thank you. Are you saying that if a same job starts when an earlier instance is still running, the second job will not execute any program statements at all? Our concern are conflicts with file handling and document access.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It may depends you can also specify the start condition of the next job to be run under (AfterJob) also as Javed said i have seen event periodic jobs which gets cancelled in case of the next job trigger when already one is active the message says 'Preceding job not yet completed" however when you see the details of these cancelled job it will actually process the specified Prog & Variant but I think in your case if it's event periodic then it will not conflict.

Also ref Job Start Conditions:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smehp1/helpdata/en/20/2d513897110872e10000009b38f889/content.htm

Thanks,

Salim

Former Member
0 Kudos

solved