cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong special character

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm working on BO XI R2 SP3 italian language pack, on a windows server 2003 R2 Sp2, db is Oracle 11g.

From designer, and also from webi, when I list values from a table where one of thee values is "®" it returns me "?".

On another installation it works perfectly...

Bye

Camillo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

What do you mean with another installation? BO server, BO client or Oracle?

Looks to me something that may have to do with the value of NLS_LANG environment variable and the ecoding of the database.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stratos ,

thanks for reply,

by another installation I mean another server with the same installation but a different CMS database.

Whata is the value I have to put for NLS_LANG variable?

0 Kudos

On the other BO server I assume that you build your universe on the same oracle data source, correct? Is the designer installation you use the same in both cases?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I build my universe on the same oracle data source, the designer version is the same 12.3.0.601.

0 Kudos

Can you please check if there are some NLS_ environment variables defined on the machine on which the designer works correctly?

Regards,

STratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can I check this ? Where can I find thi variable?

0 Kudos

Go to Start->Control panel->System->Advanced->Environment variables

Check if there are any such variables defined either as user or a system variables.

You should do that on the system on which the designer returns the corrected values.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, on the working server, there is not such a variable.

0 Kudos

Can you please confirm that on both server exact the same version of the oracle client is installed?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it is the same version of Oracle 11.1.0

0 Kudos

Can you please use SQLplus directly from the two BOBJ servers and try to get the list of values using an sql statement? Does sqlplus display the data correctly?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the difference:

working server :

SQL> SELECT * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS WHERE parameter IN ( 'NLS_LANGUAGE'

2 'NLS_TERRITORY', 'NLS_CHARACTERSET');

PARAMETER VALUE

-

-

NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN

NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA

NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8MSWIN1252

SQL> SELECT USERENV ('language') FROM DUAL;

USERENV('LANGUAGE')

-

ITALIAN_ITALY.WE8MSWIN1252

not working server returns me:

SQL> SELECT * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS WHERE parameter IN ( 'NLS_LANGUAGE',

'NLS_TERRITORY', 'NLS_CHARACTERSET');

PARAMETER VALUE

-

-

NLS_LANGUAGE AMERICAN

NLS_TERRITORY AMERICA

NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8MSWIN1252

SQL> SELECT USERENV ('language') FROM DUAL;

USERENV('LANGUAGE')

-

AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8MSWIN1252

The difference is the userenv language.

Do you know how can I change it ?

0 Kudos

Use the registry editor on your BOBJ server and search for the string NLS_LANG. Make sure that you find the oracle related entry and change the value to ITALIAN_ITALY.WE8MSWIN1252. Restart your BOBJ server and try again.

Regards,

Stratos

0 Kudos

Change the regsitry also on the machine your universe designer is installed on (if this is a separate installation).

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the registry NLS_LANG is already "ITALIAN_ITALY.WE8MSWIN1252", that's very strange...

0 Kudos

Can you please compare the registry NLS_LANG entries on both the working and the non-working BO server?

Does SQLplus display the characters correctly on both servers?

The language setting on the Oracle server itself is stored in the init.ora file. Can you take a look there?

Regards,

Stratos

PS: Keep in mind that Oracle 11g is officially supported as data source starting from XI R2 SP5.

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the working server sqlplus display correctly the special character,

but NOT on the non-working server .

I can not find the ora.ini file.

Edited by: Camillo Rospigliosi on Dec 29, 2010 5:41 PM

0 Kudos

Ok at least we know now that this is a problem with the oracle setup and not with bo.

Still I do have the feeling that this has to do with the client.

Do you use on BOTH bobj servers the local system account to run the BOBJ services?

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

yes on both servers bobj servers are installed.

The database is OK, the problem is on the session. I tried to make "alter setion set nls_language='ITALIAN"; and "alter setion set nls_territory='ITALY"; but nothin changes.

Another difference I found is that on the working server I have intalled "oracle runtime", and on the non-working server, I have intalled "oracle thin client".

best regadrs

Camillo

0 Kudos

You should NOT use the thin client installation type. Select either the Runtime or the Administrator type during the installation.

Regards,

Stratos

Answers (0)