cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Breakpoints

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure if this should be posted in the ABAP forums or Basis forum. I finally decided to post in the ABAP Forums as i thought ABAPers would be having a better idea of what the issue is .

I need to debug a function module. I am not sure what calls this function module, the only thing I am sure of is that it is called when clicking a button in BSP. Previously, I used to debug Webdynpro code by using "External Breakpoints". However, I was not able to find any option to enable external breakpoints.

I was just wondering, if the external breakpoints option could be restricted via Basis authorizations. If so, how could I enable them. Also, Also, is there any way i can get the debug screen after i run the BSP application.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Cheers,

Mz

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have been trying to resolve my issue but no avail. Here are a few things that I have found out.

1. I got SAP_ALL profile for my user ID. So, it could not be an issue with authorization.

2. When I placed an infinite loop and tried to debug via SM50, i got an error "Error while retreiving data from the server. The Server Message is : RFC Debugging only possible with dialogue user, error key : RFC_ERROR_SYSTEM_FAILURE"

My user ID is a dialog user in the system. So cannot be that.

3. In Utilities-> Setting-> ABAP Editor -> Debugging, I have Set my User ID, checked the Actv. checkbox and unchecked the IP Matching Checkbox.

I might be wrong but, could this issue be caused due to the USER ID specified in the RFC. Right now the HTTP Connection to external System is specified with a user ID ALEREMOTE.

Best Regards,

Mazin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There are the flow of BSP debugging as below.

1.Set the extenranl breakpoint.

2.In Utilities-> Setting-> ABAP Editor -> Debugging, set the debugger id = login id

3.Activite the breakpoint . SICF ->EDIT->ACTIVITE

4.View the BSP application in new brower using login id.

After that, the debuger may run.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I think that the authorizations could be related to the user... In my program, I tried to debug using an infinite loop as suggested by Matt Earlier.

This went fine until I reached a particular FM which looked like below.

CALL FUNCTION 'Z_CPR_CREATE_CPROJECT_NEW'

DESTINATION zcl_r_00=>sv_cpr_logsys_com

EXPORTING

is_attributes = ls_cpr_attributes

iv_template_guid = lv_template_guid

it_stkhldr = is_attributes-rpm_project_stkhldr

it_folder = ls_fold_api

iv_commit = cl_rpm_co=>sc_true

IMPORTING

ev_cpr_guid = ev_cpr_guid

TABLES

return = return.

When I try to go into the FM, using F5, the program just doesn't go in. Destination zcl_r_00=>sv_cpr_logsys_com is specified using a system user (ABAPSYS)....

any Idea how I can debug this. I tried getting SAP_ALL from Basis but still this has no effect.

I also tried changing the RFC destination to take my ID by checking the current user checkbox in the RFC destination..

This crazy issue has me going round in circles literally.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions and if you require any feedback from me.

Thanks in advance to All.

Best Regards,

Mz

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the value of "zcl_r_00=>sv_cpr_logsys_com"? Is that a SAP system? If it is, then you could test directly by logging onto that system, and using SE37, and the parameter values which you can get from debugger - i.e. the values of ls_cpr_attributes, = lv_template_guid, is_attributes-rpm_project_stkhldr, ls_fold_api, cl_rpm_co=>sc_true, to run the function module directly.

matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mazin Mahmood ,

i faced the same situation when i am working for SAP LSO. After implementing SAP note:1386082, issue got resolved.

please let me know if you have any queries in implementing this note.

Regards

Bhaskar

Former Member
0 Kudos

@ Arani : Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately, we are currently on SAP_BASIS 640 and not 7

@ Matt : I think that i made a big blunder of asking something very very stupid.

Guys : Here is the story after my detailed (and painful) analysis and I am not too proud of myself.

1. External debugging still does not work. We have no clue as to why. Neither me nor any of My ABAP, Basis colleagues know whats wrong. We ruled out authorization issues, because we tried even after assigning SAP_ALL.

2. I tried the workaround suggested : Place an infinite loop at the point at which debug is required and then debug from SM50. This worked like a charm and i was able to debug until i reached the point where a FM was called with a parameter CPR_LOGSYS.

3. (Here comes the really stupid part) CPR_LOGSYS was an RFC destination. We were actually calling a FM of another client, so obviously we were not able to debug.... even though both clients are in the same server...

4. Since workaround worked, i was able to find most of what i was looking for...

Please post comments if you have any. I would be closing this thread tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Create a shortcut for debugger.

Procedure to create shortcut.

Click on Generate shortcut button.

Create New SAP shortcut pop up window will appear.

Tile : Debug.

Type : system command (select the system command option)

Command : /h

The remaining options are default.

Now a shortcut will be created in SAP Logon pad Shortcut tab

You can drag that shortcut Debug to your desktop a shortcut is created in desktop.

Now you can drag that Debug to any window of SAP you wish to Debug.

You can also place that Debug on a pop up window also.

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I've moved your thread to this forum, in the hope you'll get some sensible responses from people who actually know what they're talking about.

Setting external breakpoints depends on what version of SAP you're on. In most recent versions there are two debug buttons in the editor, one for session, one for external. In older versions, you have to go the editor settings, and choose the debugging tab, to activate external breakpoints.

matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt for moving my Post.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused.

Thanks for the suggestions too. I will have a look and post back

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Here is a quick update of my issue.

I managed to enable Breakpoints and set break-points using Utilities->break-points->Set/Delete. I successfully placed HTTP breakpoint but when i run the BSP application, the breakpoint is not stopping. I know its going through the code because the values are getting populated in the table.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mz

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I sometimes get this, and there's probably a really simple explanation - but I don't know what it is. So in these situations, I put in an eternal loop:

data: x type flag.
while x is initial.
endwhile

Then in SM50, I can see when the application has entered this loop, and I can open the debugger. I set the value of "x" to be "x", which terminates the loop, and I can then debug the part I'm interested in.

matt

GrahamRobbo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a SAP note that gives a few things to check to trigger external debugging - unfortunately I don't know the note number. :}

One thing that often works for me is to go to transaction SICF. Hit the execute button then navigate to Edit->Debugging->Activate Debugging. Click the Activate button.

Cheers

Graham Robbo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

even you can try to debug the BSP in R/3 also.

try this way..

First put the break point in the FM and next ..

go to se80

slect BSP application

and select the program and double and execute and enter the value then the Break point will trigger.

Prabhudas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhu,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, our application is quite a complex application from SAP side. So, we are not able to debug this way because, we have many BSP applications that call each other and are not independant.

Any Idea on how to execute from Front end and get to the debugging screen in backend. I am sure that the FM is called. I just want to see the values of the variables during runtime.

NOTE: MODERATORS, I just realised that I might have posted in the wrong forums. This needs to be put in the BSP category and not ABAP General. Could you Kindly assist.

Thanks,

Mz

Former Member
0 Kudos

1)when executing go with /h and start the debugging mode...

2)Break-Points and Break-points at function module,and enter ur function module name.. and press F8