cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Upgrade - Kernel Version Issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using Netweaver 2004, Installed on Linux 3 EL and Oracle is 9.2.0.6.

Now we are going to Upgrade Oracle to 10.2 and as Linux 5 EL support it , We will also Upgrade OS to Linux Redhat 5EL.

Now when I go to PAM -> Netweaver 2004 ->Database Platform -> Application Server ABAP->Kernel 6.40 64 Bit ->LINUX REDHAT EL5/X86_64->

We see

released Database Version Operating System Date Status System Status Remarks

ORACLE 10.2 64-BIT LINUX REDHAT EL5/X86_64 64BIT 24.07.2007 Released

In Remark it shows :

Immediate upgrade to upcoming EX2 version of SAP kernel is mandatory after EX2 kernel has become available (Q4/07). EX2 kernel will require Oracle 10.2 or higher on the server side.

Now I am thinking should I upgrade Kernel to EX2 release after Upgrade.Presently we are using 640REL.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Shivam Mittal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes, you should upgrade the Kernel to EX2. 640 was earlier not compatible with 10.2. So this kernel is necessary for you to communicate properly with database.

Thanks

Javed

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The EX2 kernel is linked against the Oracle 10g library. You should upgrade to Oracle 10 as soon as possible because Oracle 9 is already out of support.

EX2 kernel does not work with Oracle 9.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

So Is it Mandotry to use 640_EX2 inspite of 640_REL with Oracle 10g.

Regards,

Shivam Mittal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> So Is it Mandotry to use 640_EX2 inspite of 640_REL with Oracle 10g.

No - you can also use the 640_REL kernel with the Oracle 9 client to connect to a 10g database (but not vice versa).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

So the conclusion is if we want to Upgrade Oracle 10g but not oracle client then it is Ok to use Kernel 640_REL release but if we are going to upgrade oracle client also to 10g version then in that case it is mandotry to use Kernel 640_EX2.

And I think it will also not create any issue if we use Oracle 9i client with Oracle 10g database.

Also to check Oracle Client Version in existing system we should use ->

SM51-> Release Notes

Database Client Library OCI_920

this Database Client Library shows version of installed Oracle Client, Please make me correct if I am wrong.

Shivam Mittal

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So the conclusion is if we want to Upgrade Oracle 10g but not oracle client then it is Ok to use Kernel 640_REL release but if we are going to upgrade oracle client also to 10g version then in that case it is mandotry to use Kernel 640_EX2.

Kernel 640_REL is no more supported officially, you should upgrade to 640_EX2. Those kernels are identical to 640_REL, they are just linked against an other database client (9.x vs. 10.x).

> And I think it will also not create any issue if we use Oracle 9i client with Oracle 10g database.

Correct.

Markus