cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WBS coding mask

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have more company code projects. I have created the coding mask for one company code..ie: ABCD. my requirement is that i dont want to create the project definition using ABCD, instead i need to have WBS elements created using ABCD. can we restrict using the project coding mask or by any other way, so that it allows me to create the WBS elements and not the project definition.

Thanks

Sainath.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want ABCD should be at WBSE level, then create coding in such a way that ABCD should be entered at WBSE level and create a key before that ABC to identify the project definition. eg., 1-01 can be your project code and 1-01-ABCD can be your WBSE.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Clarification:

I will be using this WBS element in another project defintion. i will be having many company code wBS elements under one project definition.

Thanks

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can assign a WBSE to only one project definition, you cannot create a WBSE under one project definition and assign it to another.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

My coding mask structure has Company code 4 character followed by 8 characters. I am having more than 100 company codes. I should use the different company codes and with the same 8 characters in a particular project.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

As Mohamed Rafi said,You cannot create a WBS element and assign to another project definition.But when you say that you will have multiple WBS element of different company codes under one project defiition,Is your coding mask specific to the company code.You can create multiple coding mask bearing WBSE in your project.

So your structure might be something like that shown below...

Project Def--> 45678

WBSE --> ABCD/45678

WBSE --> EFGH/45678

Then what would be your project definition or the project identification number, will it be a mere number as shown in the Example.Or will it to follow some alphabetical nomenclature.

You can set up some validation to avoid alpabets getting involved in your project definition.

If you can provide more elaborative inputs, It will really help us to understand the issue.

Edited by: ravi kumhar on Dec 27, 2010 10:14 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks.

Let me explain:

Coding mask:

Ex:

Ccode1-XXXXXXXX-00

Ccode2-XXXXXXXX-00

The above coding mask is applicable to both PD and WBS. At the top i will be having the PD and then Top level WBS and then the remaining WBS elements. say 3 level structure.

PD

Levle 1: WBS

Levle 2: WBS1

Level 3: WBS2

I need to create only the WBS elements at level 3 with the company code and not the project definition. project definition will have other company code.

This is my client requirement. As of now we create all company code projects and WBS elements. But now they dont want a particular company code PD but still they need WBS element.

I hope i claified. Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Changes done as below for your example

Project Def--> ABCD/45678

WBSE --> ABCD/45678

WBSE --> EFGH/45678

But i should not be allowed to create EFGH project definition. but i need EFGH wbs element uder ABCD Project defintion.

FYI

Thanks

former_member203108
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why cant you create like this

Project Def--> 45678

WBSE --> 45678/ABCD

WBSE --> 45678/EFGH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rafi,

This is not my structure and not my requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you say

"I need to create only the WBS elements at level 3 with the company code and not the project definition. project definition will have other company code. "

You can always create a WBS at anylevel of the project with a different company code

Or if the WBS element which are already created with the aborted company code has to reassigned at level 3 of a different project definition then you can change the Superior WBs element to get reassigned.So that your costs in those WBS elemnt will move to the new project definition.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok ,you dont want the User to create Project definition starting with EFGH even by mistake.

Did you try setting up validation for project definition for not to have EFGH as starting characters?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

You can always create a WBS at anylevel of the project with a different company code -

yes..I can do this.

There is no problem in creating the PD and WBS. All are fine. the only thing is to restrict the creation of the PD using XXXX company code. That XXXX company code is continue to available in the system. It should be used only for creation for WBS elements.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

you are right. before going into validation, just wanted to know in anyway we can do this in customization?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I think instead of making an work around with project coding mask,You can directly writa a validation to avoid the company code EFGH in the project definition level.

I have one more question how are you restricting you coding mask to a particular company code.

Is there any validation existing out there? or just a user discipline?

Former Member
0 Kudos

At the customisation level, I dont think it is posible.Let us wait for other members inputs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no company code restriction. all company codes are open. it can be used in any PD depends on the business need. Now only they need this PD level restriction.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sainath,

In that case, Validation will be the best solution.