cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC ABAP STACK UPGRADE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this fascinating world of BASIS and to this forum. This is my second post:

The situation is I need to upgrade the ABAP stack of my ECC 6.0 (dual stack) system from patch level 14 to 17.

Thus now, what are the things that I should need to consider, that is:

• Do I need any Kernel Upgrade, or individually the component upgrades will do?

• Any SPAM upgrade required?

Please do reply and if you know any thread having the same question and solutions please give me the URL of it.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Take the latest files of the kernel from http://service.sap.com/swdc . Ensure you take a backup of the sys\exe folder before patching the kernel.

And, its ok to patch the system from 14 to 17. Since its cumulative patching, while selecting the packages, you need to download the 15,16,17 files. I have patched systems several times from 1 SP to another ex: 14-17 and have had no problems.

Let me know if you need further info.

Rgds,

Soujanya

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I guess all the experts above have given almost all the knowledge you need to gather for support pack upgrade. One thing to make sure is that when you are applying multiple componenets SP, you have performed calculate queue function in SPAM and verifired that the queue is consistent.

Also, after the support pack application, it is vital to remove any identified defects. For that, goto service.sap.com/notes and you will get link for side effects of SAP Notes. There you put your source and destination patch and you will get a compiled list of all SAP notes which you may need to apply to the system after uograde. It is recommended to apply alteast critical snotes from the list.

Cheers!

Javed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies Soujanya and Javed. Really helpfull.

You have given me enough infos....thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. For patching the system, ensure you have a complete backup of the system.

2. Its safer and best to patch the kernel always before starting patching so that your tp and R3Trans are updated.

3. Patch the tool SPAM to the latest level before starting the patching of the other components.

4. Now you can patch the rest of the components either individually or put all of them in 1 stack and patch them at 1 go.

For further info, refer to http://service.sap.com/instguides->SAP Netweaver-> < Release of your system>-> Maintainence-> SP guides.

Rgds,

Soujanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

But what will be the latest KERNEL VERSION that I need to patch to, so that my ECC system, gets ready for the PATCH LEVEL 17?

On a most recent research I've found that the Kernel needs to patched to version 236 in order to apply PATCH 17.

Another important thing is that will I staright away download the SPS 17 and apply it to my system, without upgrading it to 15 and then 16, and the 17, from the current PATCH LEVEL 14 which I have.

What are it's PROs and CONs