cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems Solman and IDES in single box??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have a requirement from the client to install Solution Manager 7.0 with EHP1 and IDES with EHP4 on single machine. The OS is windows 2008 and database is Oracle 10g. I am not planning to go with complex MCOD option. So there will be single database engine with two SAP instances with diffrent SIDs and instance numbers.

Can anybody tell me what can be possible future problem with go with this.

Regards,

Ramesh.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If you have one database Instance and two Databases for ECC and Solman, you don't need two listener ports. Make sure at the time of installation of the second system, you choos option "keep listner and tnsnames.ora" option, else the listener configuration for the earlier system will get overwritten.

And I believe you have read all specs for Solman and ECC IDES. It is going to take huge Hard Disk, (>500GB), RAM (alteast 12GB) and CPU (2 Quad core) to enable the server handle two servers efficiently.

Cheers!

Javed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Javed,

What can be possible problems for system upgrade of only one system and other not specially for kernel upgrade.

Regards,

Ramesh.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh,

If you have good hardware, then you can definately go for 2 instance.

As you going to use IDES and solman, so not much to think upon it.

Thanks

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ramesh,

Absolutely no issues. As Sunil has suggested have 2 separate Oracle Home Installed. I have worked with a Single Machine having upto 4 Development/Test systems in it.

Regards,

Sanujit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

You will not have any problem while applying support pack or kernel upgrade. The kernel for two systems will be at different location and when you shutdown one instance for maintenance, other need not to be down.

Only problem is if you have two databases on the same oracle instance (MCOD), then when you are performing any database upgrade or patch, at that time, both system needs to be down. The plus side of the same is that when you patch an MCOD system, it will take less time than upgrdading separate instances of database because in later case, same activity has to be performed twice!! Also, the SAP patching may be different for each component, but the database patching, or hotfixes is performed across all the instances in your landscape at the same time. So making an MCOD is really not a bad idea if you want to save your database maintenace time.

Anyways, you have pros and cons. You are the best judge now

Cheers!!

Javed

Former Member
0 Kudos

If possible avoid MCOD. Try to install two oracle home/software as you will have better administration option individually. If you are going to use Solman as production (as ccms alert, EWA, GRMG etc) then I suggest you install two oracle DB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as when it comes to major upgrade or maintenance activities you have to down both also use different port no in case of listener.

Thanks,

Salim